PDA

View Full Version : Striving for honor grad

x3bishop7x
11-28-10, 01:04 AM
I'm shipping off for recruit training 20100314. I'm really excited about it, I've wanted to be a Marine for a long time and I'm looking forward to earning that title. In getting ready for RT I've of course been staying physically fit by working out a lot and going to warrior training with my RSS. I've learn The Rifle Creed, phonetic alphabet, Code of Conduct, Marine Corps Hymm, Leadership Principle, Leadership Traits, and the General Orders. I've also been trying to study up on the Marine Corps history.

I'm working my butt off to be as prepared as I can be for RT because I am determined to be an honor graduate. I've always been driven to achieve and be the best, which is why I pick to enlist in the Marine Corps, and I'm only going to try harder to uphold that standard for myself.

So after saying all of that, my question is does anyone have any advice on how I can getting closer to getting that honor graduate medallion?

Sorry I sort of went on and on I'm trying to be thorough. And thanks to all the Marines for being inspirations to me and serving our country.

josephd
11-28-10, 01:42 AM
Don't worry about it IMO

Being an honor graduate at boot camp really has no relevance to the rest of your Marine Corps career. Getting it or any other reward like promotion for working hard should be the last of your worries. Be the best you can be for yourself and the rewards will come on their own.

brian0351
11-28-10, 02:00 AM
I have seen those who strive for it...don't usually get it.

Honor Grad is more than do's or don'ts. You could do everything right and in the end one of your DIs saw someone else at the exact right moment and recommends that person for it.

Score high on your pft, rifle range, written tests and drill. Be a leader for those who need it. Don't be a kiss ass, but your going to have to be a little cocky to get noticed. I went 7 weeks in boot camp without the DI's even really knowing who I was.

However, in the end...with all you've done, you still may not get it. In SOI I was tied for Honor grad which brought with it a meritorious promotion. I aced the last exam while my competition didn't. That put me into 1st place, yet I find out that they had to submit names for honor grad the day before the test and they submitted the other guy.

My instructor took me aside afterward and said, "You got f*cked, it happens. It's the Marine Corps."

x3bishop7x
11-28-10, 02:16 AM
I'm not really worrying or stressing myself out about it, but the way I've always gone through life with an athletic mindset. I set goals and I compete with myself to accomplish those goals. Honor grade is just another one of those goals. I won't gripe and complain if I don't get it, but like I said before I'm determined.

Thanks I appreciate the input.

SGT7477
11-28-10, 08:27 AM
I'm not really worrying or stressing myself out about it, but the way I've always gone through life with an athletic mindset. I set goals and I compete with myself to accomplish those goals. Honor grade is just another one of those goals. I won't gripe and complain if I don't get it, but like I said before I'm determined.

Thanks I appreciate the input.
Earn our title should be the first thing on your mind, get use to it there is always someone better, Semper Fidelis.:evilgrin: