PDA

View Full Version : Volunteer service medal

Blutic
11-26-10, 02:47 PM
If you have received one or know somebody that did, please post what you or they did to earn one.

Here is the criteria.

Criteria: Awarded to members of the Armed Forces of the United States who, subsequent to 31 December 1992, performed outstanding volunteer community service of a sustained, direct and consequential nature. To be eligible, an individual’s service must (1) be to the civilian community, to include the military family community; (2) be significant in nature and produce tangible results; (3) reflect favorably on the Military Service and the Department of Defense; and (4) be of a sustained and direct nature. While there is no specific time threshold to qualify for the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal (MOVSM), approval authorities shall ensure the service to be honored merits the special recognition afforded by this medal. The MOVSM is intended to recognize exceptional community support over time and not a single act or achievement. Further, it is intended to honor direct support of community activities.

Kegler300
11-26-10, 02:53 PM
One of my former Marines coached T-Ball and little league soccer, and volunteered regularly at the local soup kitchen.

dback13
11-26-10, 07:56 PM
Another bullsh!t award...

MASA14
11-26-10, 08:02 PM
Well I was told once by a friend in my brother service (usmc) that one of his friends set-up a college fund for marines in one of the base units that were coming back, and it also sent a portion of the fund to some sort of medical research, don't know much about it, but it could just be another pin for the uniform that everyone loves to get..

Former U.S. Naval Cadet Corps
now:
MASN, U.S. Navy (E-3)
2010-Present

hussaf
11-26-10, 09:21 PM
My friend got this award. It took about three years to get approved, and that was a Lt. Col. from his chain of command helping push it through....for three years. Its ambiguous requirement guidelines make it a difficult and rare award to get...that and the fact some flag officers (ones on an approving board) really don't like giving out awards they themselves don't possess. Don't quite remember what he did, I know it has to be continuous, sustained, and benefit both the military and civilian communities. Documenting number of hours, and other fancy looking quantifiable information helps these types of awards get pushed through.

USNAviator
11-26-10, 09:50 PM
If you have received one or know somebody that did, please post what you or they did to earn one.

Here is the criteria.

Criteria: Awarded to members of the Armed Forces of the United States who, subsequent to 31 December 1992, performed outstanding volunteer community service of a sustained, direct and consequential nature. To be eligible, an individual’s service must (1) be to the civilian community, to include the military family community; (2) be significant in nature and produce tangible results; (3) reflect favorably on the Military Service and the Department of Defense; and (4) be of a sustained and direct nature. While there is no specific time threshold to qualify for the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal (MOVSM), approval authorities shall ensure the service to be honored merits the special recognition afforded by this medal. The MOVSM is intended to recognize exceptional community support over time and not a single act or achievement. Further, it is intended to honor direct support of community activities.

Capt

Mind if I ask why you submitted this question? Personally I have never heard of this "award".

A Volunteer Medal? To me if you volunteer you keep it quiet. But that's just me

hrscowboy
11-27-10, 09:45 AM
ole fisk got this award for taken care of all the BAMs down in camp lejunne NC and cherry point..

1stRad2671
11-27-10, 11:34 AM
Letters of appreciation are what I've seen Marines get for volunteer work. I did get base commander's coin once for volunteering to fill sandbags for local civilians to use.

Kegler300
11-27-10, 02:03 PM
If only they had a Voluntold Service Medal...

Sgt Leprechaun
11-27-10, 11:14 PM
The award was instituted in peacetime under the Clinton administration. While that certainly puts it into the 'I gotta job ribbon' catagory, it's a DoD award.

Basically, it's one of those 'command determined' based on a loose set of criteria. Serving as a Scoutmaster for 2 years, for example, would likely qualify you to get it. So would doing volunteer work (non paid) for just about any nonprofit.

The benefits to getting it? Fitreps, obviously are the biggest potential benefit, as long as the Marine's MOS and other requirements were up to date and he/she was proficient.

The downside to this one is generally, you basically have to put yourself in for it. And there is the rub...which is why I don't have one, despite being a cubmaster, working with the USMCHC, the Girl Scouts, and being a docent at the Civil War Medical Museum. I certainly had the hours to qualify but I just felt queasy putting myself in for a medal. LOL.

Blutic
11-27-10, 11:42 PM
I asked this question because even through I was the "Awards O" for my unit while on active duty, I never heard of it. I think Marines should be recognized for the work they do on and off duty. For example, commanders have a certain amount of NAMs they can give out each year but they rarely give them out because section leaders fail to write up their deserving people. If a Marine under you is doing a substantial amount of vol work, I believe you should take 5 minutes and write up a citation.

Sgt Leprechaun
11-27-10, 11:53 PM
I won't argue that particular point. Either of them, actually!