PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to be familiar with a 2nd language before applying for DLIFLC?

TheAlamo
11-26-10, 12:03 AM
I'm looking into applying for a Japanese linguist (MOS 2739) and one of the requirements is the completion of the DLIFLC course. I've ran into conflicting requirements from needing to be "proficient" to it being a non-issue for acceptance.

This had confused me greatly, and any attempt to find out via the DLIFLC FAQ just confuses me further. I know very little on the subject, but the DLIFLC website gives the impression of a full language course, that suggests to me that prior familiarisation with Japanese is unnecessary to eventualy achieve a linguistic oriented mos in Japanese.

I do apologize if this ended up in the wrong section, i tried searching for a more fitting section for this thread, but i didn't find one.

Beltayn
11-28-10, 08:16 AM
In you are a new pooled planning to enlist as a 2600:
1) no. You do not need any prior foreign language proficiency. You simply need to pass the DLAB test which tests whether you are capable of learning one.
2) No. You do NOT, repeat, DO NOT, get to choose what language you will be assigned. It is 100% out of your control and in the hands of the MOS monitor.

If you are a lat-mover:
1)No. You do not need prior proficiency, you will go through a long course to gain it, before being tested out on the DLPT-5 at the end.
2) Yes, you can contract in to a particular language of your choice as a reenlistment incentive. Make sure and doubly sure that it is in writing in your contract.