PDA

View Full Version : NEWS: North Korea Shells South Korea 11/23/10

lake9
11-24-10, 12:07 AM
"It was one of the most serious attacks by the North on its neighbor since the Korean War ended in 1953. "

Just wanted to hear other future Marines/Marines opinions on this topic. It's still unclear how the United States will deal with this.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40329269/ns/world_news-asiapacific

Wenzel
11-24-10, 06:46 PM
I have a feeling the U.S. will not act directly until our troops are put in danger. The White House will condemn North Korea, but as we have seen in the past, that doesn't mean anything. What we will most likely try to do is put pressure on China to use it's influence to cool North Korea down and make them back off. Ultimately it's up to South Korea to make it's next move.

Jarthura
11-25-10, 12:26 AM
As a Korean and as a poolee waiting to ship out, it makes me want to go even more. Just got my infantry MOS on contract too.

lake9
11-25-10, 01:33 AM
As a Korean and as a poolee waiting to ship out, it makes me want to go even more. Just got my infantry MOS on contract too.

Dude same here my man!:thumbup:

khagmann
11-25-10, 01:54 AM
Either way I'm here to kick ass and perhaps take a few names. Communist or Terrorist

lake9
11-25-10, 12:38 PM
Either way I'm here to kick ass and perhaps take a few names. Communist or Terrorist

true that brotha. i have been following this story past few days. looks like it is escalating into something big. some say a war with north again could lead to ww3. god i hope not though.

ps: Happy Thanksgiving!

lake9
11-26-10, 12:38 AM
Stuff is really heating up now.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40375643/ns/world_news-asiapacific

"Now at the Brink of War"

Wenzel
11-29-10, 10:34 AM
Not entirely sure if another attack will take place. China is not putting some pressure on North Korea, so I actually think things will cool down for a while.

Kiri
11-29-10, 12:47 PM
There was never actually a peace treaty made to end the Korean War, right? Technically, they're still at war.

Wenzel
11-29-10, 12:49 PM
Just an Armistice. They are at war.

Kiri
11-29-10, 12:53 PM
That's what I thought.

sdkmcqueen
11-29-10, 01:40 PM
We should just let the South off the leash we put on em and let them have a field day.

lake9
11-29-10, 02:57 PM
We should just let the South off the leash we put on em and let them have a field day.

i agree. if we let the south go we would help to. war is only inevitable with the south and the north. why let them build more nukes and a bigger military? we should euthanize the dog now!

Kiri
11-29-10, 03:19 PM

We're not holding the South back, we're keeping the North away. The North would kick the South's ass if we weren't there.

Nerd
11-29-10, 05:29 PM

heck yea! I don't want to go to unnecessary war, but honestly, they've been messing with South Korea for so long, I think it's time we gave them an upper cut to the chin

:flag:

DevilDogsSon269
11-29-10, 05:41 PM
The South has a more advanced military and a better one but theres no guarantee that China wont back NK. North Korea is still living in the 50s and sixties with their military. the only real new thing is the nukes. If we got involved likelyhood would be if china sits back NK will be run over with small amounts of US forces. If china does not, all of Korea will be a battleground and likelyhood is WW3 could happen. The ideal solution is bomb what we can from the air before invading if they do not first bomb the hell out of Seoul.

Kiri
11-30-10, 11:29 AM
I asked my mom about this, and she doesn't seem to think SK has a chance if we pull out. Both my parents were stationed in Seoul when they were in and from what she remembers there were always a ton of diplomatic relations going on between China and NK with no sign of stopping, and that was just 15 years ago. China won't abandon NK I'm thinking.

Wenzel
11-30-10, 11:35 AM
Like I said before, the South would probably get spanked at first. The North would over take thier forces early, however, the South has more buying power and if they invest heavily in thier military can be able to push back and over take the North. On top of that, China isn't all that thrilled with North Korea, as we've learned from the new leaks released this past weekend and would favor the united Korea with the South holding the leash.

lake9
11-30-10, 12:16 PM
Like I said before, the South would probably get spanked at first. The North would over take thier forces early, however, the South has more buying power and if they invest heavily in thier military can be able to push back and over take the North. On top of that, China isn't all that thrilled with North Korea, as we've learned from the new leaks released this past weekend and would favor the united Korea with the South holding the leash.

you are wrong china would never allow a united korea run by the south. this is why ppl say this could turn into a ww3. just becuase china says its upset with north korea doesnt mean they are tellling the truth, chinamen are sneaky sobs ..if given the chance they would take over the world. ps im on mh phone sorry for any mistakes in spelling or format.

Vise
11-30-10, 12:28 PM
I'm tired of N. Korea's "incidents". "We can do whatever the hell we want and you MUST except our excuse." I wish we could wipe them and Iran off the map. They torpedoed a South Korean ship back in May and now they're blatantly firing artillery on S. Korean soil? They contribute nothing to this planet so why not destroy them?

Wenzel
11-30-10, 12:57 PM
you are wrong china would never allow a united korea run by the south. this is why ppl say this could turn into a ww3. just becuase china says its upset with north korea doesnt mean they are tellling the truth, chinamen are sneaky sobs ..if given the chance they would take over the world. ps im on mh phone sorry for any mistakes in spelling or format.

I don't know, I don't think I'm wrong on this. Not saying you got to trust the Chinese, but in the end it would be more profitable for China to side with a country like South Korea. The Chinese are a people who follow the all-mighty dollar. North Korea is listed to being #88 in the CIA's Factbook as far as the size of each countries economy. South Korea is #15. That means there is more opportunity in the South than in the North. China and South Korea has already had trading talks, it would make no sense for China to side with an economically deprived nation. On top of that, three of the most powerful nations (U.S., Japan, and Russia) are calling for China to try to influence North Korea so that another incident like this doesn't happen. If the two nations were to clash, I strongly believe that China would look upon South Korea in a more favorable way. Besides, I doubt they are ready to duke it out with the U.S. They're not ready to take us on yet.

lake9
11-30-10, 07:16 PM
I don't know, I don't think I'm wrong on this. Not saying you got to trust the Chinese, but in the end it would be more profitable for China to side with a country like South Korea. The Chinese are a people who follow the all-mighty dollar. North Korea is listed to being #88 in the CIA's Factbook as far as the size of each countries economy. South Korea is #15. That means there is more opportunity in the South than in the North. China and South Korea has already had trading talks, it would make no sense for China to side with an economically deprived nation. On top of that, three of the most powerful nations (U.S., Japan, and Russia) are calling for China to try to influence North Korea so that another incident like this doesn't happen. If the two nations were to clash, I strongly believe that China would look upon South Korea in a more favorable way. Besides, I doubt they are ready to duke it out with the U.S. They're not ready to take us on yet.

You have some good points. But imagine North Mexico as being North Kore and South Mexico South Korea. China Decides it wants to take over North Mexico (our ally protecting our border) china does this and now china has a foot hold right on our doorstep. what would we do? we would tell them to get the **** out or else. My point is china will feel threatened having United south Korea because United States would control it. China will feel less of a superpower and threatened. leading to war. Hell china still wants to take over twain or was it Tibet? or maybe both? i forgot. but china is a growing super power and will jump at the first opportunity to become THE super power. War with the north/china might not happen this month or maybe even year this or the next. but it is inevitable sooner or later. Iran and North Korea are ticking time bombs.:tank:

Wenzel
11-30-10, 07:31 PM
China is trying to regain control of Taiwan, and has had control over Tibet for over fifty years. And no, the United States does not have control over South Korea, we are just it's ally. The reason why we have bases over there is because the South Koreans in a sense feel safer with us there, mainly due to North Korea's aggression. But if South Korea wants us out, we're out. China will probably never get the opportunity to become THE Superpower of the world. There's too many factors to becoming a Superpower, and when they become a Superpower, they'll be forced to share the stage. The Russian Federation is returning to Superpower status as is the European Union. The Republic of India and Brazil are not far off either. The United States will still be considered the world's main player, but eventually we'll have to share the stage. What I'm really trying to say is that countries like these really don't want to go to war together. There may be another Cold War like we had with Russia between 1947 and 1991, but if these countries really fought it out, the results would be devastating. It is in China's and the United States best interest to at the very least get some sort of control over North Korea. But if North Korea rekindles the war with South Korea and we get in the middle of it, I doubt that China will get in our way... much.

lake9
11-30-10, 07:54 PM
China is trying to regain control of Taiwan, and has had control over Tibet for over fifty years. And no, the United States does not have control over South Korea, we are just it's ally. The reason why we have bases over there is because the South Koreans in a sense feel safer with us there, mainly due to North Korea's aggression. But if South Korea wants us out, we're out. China will probably never get the opportunity to become THE Superpower of the world. There's too many factors to becoming a Superpower, and when they become a Superpower, they'll be forced to share the stage. The Russian Federation is returning to Superpower status as is the European Union. The Republic of India and Brazil are not far off either. The United States will still be considered the world's main player, but eventually we'll have to share the stage. What I'm really trying to say is that countries like these really don't want to go to war together. There may be another Cold War like we had with Russia between 1947 and 1991, but if these countries really fought it out, the results would be devastating. It is in China's and the United States best interest to at the very least get some sort of control over North Korea. But if North Korea rekindles the war with South Korea and we get in the middle of it, I doubt that China will get in our way... much.

Ah yeah i knew it was something like that with Tibet.
I guess we will see in time. What i meant about controlling south Korea is we have a very heavy influence on them and would agree with us on most subjects.

Wenzel
12-01-10, 11:12 AM
We really don't have that much influence over them. They have their own parliament and their own prime minister and they make their own rules. The only country that we've ever pushed our agenda heavily with was Japan when they wanted to move the based out of Okinawa. Even though we did start to make the move from there to Guam, it's going to take a rather long time before the final push out is implemented, and that's due to Obama's diplomacy with Taro Aso to stop the move for possibly another fifteen years.