PDA

View Full Version : First day in the fleet

devilpup93
11-21-10, 03:50 PM
I am just curious as to how Marines are generally greeted when they first hit the fleet as an E-1 or E-2. Particularly, Marines in the 03XX field..Rituals, hazing, or anything like that. Thanks for your time.

josephd
11-21-10, 04:56 PM
hahahaha....I haven't experienced it first hand, but I have been there to see. It is something that you will have to go through yourself, kind of like going through boot camp. No way to describe it.

And I know you aren't a Marine yet but just be careful when using the term "hazing". Hazing is not allowed anymore for numerous reasons, when that word gets thrown around the guys with the shiny collars get a bit uneasy.

devilpup93
11-21-10, 04:59 PM
Haha thanks for the knowledge Marine. What's your MOS?

josephd
11-21-10, 06:47 PM
Haha thanks for the knowledge Marine. What's your MOS?

1391....I am also a reservist, all sorts of nasty!

I was out at Camp Horno at Pendleton visiting a friend with 1/4 Weapons Co. awhile back and witnessed a few fresh PFC's checking in and their first few days in the fleet. Lets just say it was interesting and I was not envious.

SGT7477
11-21-10, 07:22 PM
Get use to being called a Boot,lol, Semper Fidelis.

tgluber
11-21-10, 07:22 PM
Why are you worrying about checking in to your first duty station, when you haven't even shipped to boot camp yet. I would focus more on preparing for boot camp.

devilpup93
11-21-10, 08:04 PM
LCpl Luber, I am focused on preparing for boot camp. However, sometimes things cross my mind about the different situations I will encounter as a Marine. I thought this was a site where a poolee could ask questions and get answers from Marines. I did post this in the ask a Marine forum. I feel like it was a legitimate question. Correct me if I am wrong.

thezero
11-21-10, 09:14 PM
Oh your wrong devilpup lol. It depends on where you check into, the size of your unit all sorts of stuff then it depends on the individuals there. So just wait to find out would be the best thing, but when you do get there find me a pricke5

Moderboater
11-21-10, 10:43 PM
well from what I can remember walking into a Infantry Btl felt like a college party, and not the good kind. My advice to you is don't go infantry, won't do anything for you when you get out aside from becoming a Police Officer. If that's what you want, great..however if you want something better for yourself do something you like. As much as I enjoyed being out in the field when I was 17-18 years old, i'm almost 22 and I already had knee surgery on both of my knee's..not saying that's in your deck of cards but it's a possibility. One thing to note though is hazing is all good and fun, but when it turns to assault that's when their is issues. My advice to you is if someone assaults you while in the Corps you let your superior's know, as the one's who did it are **** bag Marines that think they are special because you haven't deployed and they have. More than likely your time will come and you will deploy as well if not at least once. If you have any questions feel free to message me.

dback13
11-22-10, 12:32 PM
You're going to get the fu*king sh!t hazed the fu*k out of you. Don't be a retard and thing will get better over time, or not depends on who your seniors are.

03Mike
11-22-10, 02:47 PM
My advice to you is don't go infantry, won't do anything for you when you get out aside from becoming a Police Officer.

Sorry there Moderboater, but that's a crock - but I'll forgive your slip because you're not an infantry Marine.

Infantry Marines in particular learn and develop a boat load of valuable skills that are a rarity in the civilian world - decision making, planning ability, accountability, responsibility, reliability, supervisory capacity. The list goes on and on - there's a ton more to being a grunt than humping a pack and firing weapons.

I've been in a position over the years to hire a number of people in the civilian world, and I'd hire a vet over a civilian, and I'd hire a combat arms vet over a non-combat arms vet, and I'd hire infantry over just about anyone else because I know that I can give a task, give guidance, and it'll get done.

I can always train a person in a manufacturing, marketing, or office task - but I can't always take the time to train them to be self-sufficient, to make a decision and stand behind it, and do what needs to be done to get the job done.

Moderboater
11-22-10, 05:40 PM
Sorry there Moderboater, but that's a crock - but I'll forgive your slip because you're not an infantry Marine.

Mike I would have to disagree with the ^ statement. I am a 0621 FRO and I was assigned to a infantry Btl. I know how the infantry works, and I met a good number of infantry Marines. In my unit the majority of said Marines were dicks that thought they were special. I would also like to add that my unit was more than likely far different than yours. Perhaps your unit treated your boots like men, our Btl did not, and because of such things was investigated by the federal government as well as NCIS.

It's not just infantry Marines that learn what you stated that applies to the civilian world, that's all Marines. I do agree though that I would hire a military member before a civilian any day. It really amazed me how much some civilians are spoiled when I did my part for the Marines. The majority of civilians do not know how good they have it.

03Mike
11-22-10, 07:11 PM
Not saying anything about how units indoc boots - I've seen most are done with good humor, and have seen some that were malicious (which is inexcusable).

My point wasn't that other MOSs don't have these skills, it was only to disabuse the stereotype that you laid out that all the infantry "won't do anything for you when you get out aside from becoming a Police Officer"

Moderboater
11-23-10, 03:48 AM
Not saying anything about how units indoc boots - I've seen most are done with good humor, and have seen some that were malicious (which is inexcusable).

My point wasn't that other MOSs don't have these skills, it was only to disabuse the stereotype that you laid out that all the infantry "won't do anything for you when you get out aside from becoming a Police Officer"

I see your point but i'm just curious as I was not a 03 Marine, however I did belong with a group of them as a FRO..I might as well of been a grunt. Anywho I was curious if 03 Marines had secret clearences? That's really what i'm referring to. When you get out of the military and you have a secret clearance, that really helps you to get government or state jobs. I'm not doggin the infantry as everyone does their part, i'm just saying for the most part when you get out with the credentials of a infantry your setting yourself up for law enforcement. I know you have seen California State Trooper flyers throughout pendleton trying to recruit former Marines (Primarily Infantry) ;). As for the indoc none of what I experienced was "good humor", just a couple of dickhead Marines that thought they were better than everyone else.

Mxzero
11-23-10, 03:40 PM
No, from what I've been told, they don't get any clearances at all unless they're in a billet that requires it.

It all depends on your unit. As long as you shut up, realize you know nothing and listen, you'll do fine. That and don't whine and complain about stuff unless it's what everyone else is doing.