PDA

View Full Version : Propoxyphene Withdrawn From U.S. Market

Rocky C
11-19-10, 05:20 PM
November 19, 2010 — The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has asked that propoxyphene, sold under the brand names Darvon and Darvocet by Xanodyne Pharmaceuticals, be removed from the US market. The decision will also affect generic manufacturers and the makers of propoxyphene-containing products.

New clinical data showing that the drug puts patients at risk for potentially serious or even fatal heart rhythm abnormalities has prompted regulators to act. An estimated 10 million patients have used these products.

At a press conference today, John Jenkins, MD, director of the Office of New Drugs, said the new numbers tipped the risk–benefit ratio against the drug.
<TABLE style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 5px" border=1 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width=200 align=left><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>http://img.medscape.com/news/2010/propoxyphene_200x243.png </TD></TR><TR><TD class=text10 align=middle>The withdrawal will include brand name, generic, and all propoxyphene-containing products. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
"For the first time, we now have data showing that the standard therapeutic dose of propoxyphene can be harmful to the heart," said Gerald Dal Pan, MD, director of the Office of Surveillance and Epidemiology.

The FDA is advising healthcare professionals stop prescribing propoxyphene. Patients who are currently taking the drug should not abruptly halt their medication but should contact their physician as soon as possible to discuss switching to another pain-management therapy.

"Long-time users of the drug need to know that these changes to the heart's electrical activity are not cumulative," Dr. Dal Pan added. "Once patients stop taking propoxyphene, the risk will go away."

Propoxyphene is an opioid typically used to treat mild to moderate pain. It was first approved by the FDA in 1957. It is sold by prescription under various names alone or in combination with acetaminophen. Since 1978, the FDA has received 2 requests to remove propoxyphene from the market.

In January 2009, an FDA advisory committee voted 14 to 12 against the continued marketing of propoxyphene products. At that time, the committee called for additional information about the drug's cardiac effects.

Swampyankee
11-19-10, 07:54 PM
I take vicodin for chronic pain, they want to take it off the shelves because of, ironically, the over the counter ingrediant in it, advil. As well as the street aspect of it, in the big kindergarten that America has become all the kids must be punished for those whose rights we must not step on. But advil can cause liver damage, they keep an eye on my blood to be sure its still in order. Everything has a bad effect somewhere in your body.

They passed the medical maryjane law up here in Maine, but not all MD's believe the feds when they say they won't go after them if they prescribe it. And I don't blame them, but I have to wonder if there are LESS bad side effects with pot than with all the processed stuff on the market.