PDA

View Full Version : Potential recruit

davepenman
11-19-10, 11:06 AM
Hello everyone let me introduce myself, my name is David Penman. My friends call me dave or inky. I am 19 years old and I live in the UK and I was part of the Royal Navy for a few months before I had to leave and take care of my brother.

As some of you may know the UK has been drastically cutting budgets and recruitment in the UK has stopped altogether. I've been unable to get back into the armed forces and every day I am not it hurts.

I am considering emigrating to the USA to become a US Marine as our country seems to be heading in a downward spiral as far as military capability is concerned. Due to our current government we are being reduced to a second rate power. I did not make this decision lightly because I love my country but I will do what I must to achieve my life goal of being a Marine.

My problem is that I do not know how to become a US citizen in order to become a marine. As far as I know I must be offered a job in the US or have relatives in the US for me to be applicable for a green card. I have had neither but I was curious if that the marines made me a job offer that it would get me a green card.

I have a valid UK passport and I have been to the USA before on holiday. While I was there it was the best place I have ever been. I also have a valid drivers licence.

If I could recieve any help it would be greatly appreciated and even any information even if it is bad would be great.

Thanks for reading.

TunTvrnWarrior
11-19-10, 11:20 AM
I would suggest talking with someone at the US Embassy in your country about a visa. Talk to a recruiter when you get here.

03Mike
11-19-10, 12:04 PM
My problem is that I do not know how to become a US citizen in order to become a marine. As far as I know I must be offered a job in the US or have relatives in the US for me to be applicable for a green card. I have had neither but I was curious if that the marines made me a job offer that it would get me a green card.

One note of clarification - you do not need to be a U.S. citizen in order to enlist in the Marine Corps - but I do believe that you need to be a valid U.S. resident. Enlistment is open to citizens of several other countries with minimal additional requirements, and I can assure you that the UK is one of those countires. Talk to someone at the U.S. Embassy or consulate.

Good luck

tdrt
11-19-10, 12:39 PM
One note of clarification - you do not need to be a U.S. citizen in order to enlist in the Marine Corps - but I do believe that you need to be a valid U.S. resident. Enlistment is open to citizens of several other countries with minimal additional requirements, and I can assure you that the UK is one of those countires. Talk to someone at the U.S. Embassy or consulate.

Good luck

Yes -- you must have a valid green card and be living in the US. Being a citizen is not a requirement

tdrt
11-19-10, 12:41 PM
Enlistment into the U.S. Marine Corps, or any branch of the U.S. military, by citizens of countries other than the United States is limited to those foreign nationals who are legally residing in the United States and possess an Immigration and Naturalization Service Alien Registration Card (INS Form I-151/551 — commonly known as a "Green Card"). Applicants must be between 17 and 35; meet the mental, moral, and physical standards for enlistment; and must speak, read and write English fluently.

Note: The U.S. military branches cannot assist foreign nationals in obtaining admittance into the United States. Questions concerning immigration to the United States should be asked of the U.S. Embassy. Only after immigration procedures are completed and an applicant is legally residing in the United States may an application for enlistment be accepted.

Furthermore, in order to be commissioned an officer in the U.S. Navy, one must be a native-born or naturalized United States citizen.

The U.S. government agency which is responsible for immigration and naturalization is the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service. Their web site is at http://uscis.gov/graphics/index.htm (http://uscis.gov/graphics/index.htm)

davepenman
11-19-10, 07:24 PM
Okay I'm thoroughly confused on what I am required to do to emigrate to the US.

As far as I can tell I am required to reside in the US for 5 years to get a green card and to live in the US I need a green card ?

I am also eligable to travel to the US Visa Free as I am a UK resident but only for less than 90 days.

TunTvrnWarrior
11-19-10, 09:41 PM
Okay I'm thoroughly confused on what I am required to do to emigrate to the US.

As far as I can tell I am required to reside in the US for 5 years to get a green card and to live in the US I need a green card ?

I am also eligable to travel to the US Visa Free as I am a UK resident but only for less than 90 days.

Dave, I would suggest to go to the US Embassy and talk with a state department employee about your desire. Also, there is a detatchment of Marines assigned to the US Embassy. Ask to speak to either the OIC or SNCOIC of the Marine detatchment. Ask them if they have any connections to anyone stateside that could give you the scoop on what to do or who to talk with. You have a unique situation that most of us have never dealt with. You need someone on active duty in the Marine Corps that you can talk face to face with and ask them to help you. So, I would still recommend going to the US Embassy.

TunTvrnWarrior
11-19-10, 09:45 PM
Enlistment into the U.S. Marine Corps, or any branch of the U.S. military, by citizens of countries other than the United States is limited to those foreign nationals who are legally residing in the United States and possess an Immigration and Naturalization Service Alien Registration Card (INS Form I-151/551 — commonly known as a "Green Card"). Applicants must be between 17 and 35; meet the mental, moral, and physical standards for enlistment; and must speak, read and write English fluently.

Note: The U.S. military branches cannot assist foreign nationals in obtaining admittance into the United States. Questions concerning immigration to the United States should be asked of the U.S. Embassy. Only after immigration procedures are completed and an applicant is legally residing in the United States may an application for enlistment be accepted.

Furthermore, in order to be commissioned an officer in the U.S. Navy, one must be a native-born or naturalized United States citizen.

The U.S. government agency which is responsible for immigration and naturalization is the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service. Their web site is at http://uscis.gov/graphics/index.htm (http://uscis.gov/graphics/index.htm)

Dave, TDRT just quoted verbatim what needs to be done. So, talking with the OIC or SNCOIC probably would be an information session for you. The Corps cant touch you until you apply for residency.

davepenman
11-19-10, 11:02 PM
Ok guys looks like I need to take a trip down to London to the US embassy :) I'l let you know when I make contact.