PDA

View Full Version : Haircut Regulations Question

Doberman
11-18-10, 07:09 PM
I've done a search on google and across the forums and can't seem to get a concrete answer to my question. I'm slated to ship to bootcamp on January 3 as a Reservist. I had a question about the regulations for haircut. So a haircut under three inches from the top of the head fully extended is within regulation, and under an inch on the sides? I only asking because I've got a ridiculous hairline and a fully shaved head would look ridiculous. Do the sides and back have to be shaved or are they appropriate as hair is under an inch? I know the information is out there but what I've found seems to be conflicting between 3 and two inches from the top, etc.

Would one like this be appropriate; aside from the sideburn?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_j7CBBTUIT5g/S76tjgr9aZI/AAAAAAAAAtw/hnUxzNfCkHo/s1600/Dear+John+004.jpg

Thank you in advance I realize this is a weird question.

Lisa 23
11-18-10, 07:12 PM
Young man, don't worry about getting a haircut before you go to boot camp. The Marine Corps will give you one when you get to MCRD.

Quinbo
11-18-10, 07:12 PM
The regulation is 0 to 3 graduated. Your hairline would be zero inches as in to the scalp cut. They're gonna shave your head in boot camp anyway so what's the worry?

Doberman
11-18-10, 11:16 PM
Thank you, I was actually referring too after recruit training. But I should have made that clear in my post. The zero length part is what threw me off. I was under the impression that zero length meant no length; or bald. I'm assuming it means 3/4 of an inch etc.

josephd
11-18-10, 11:32 PM
Thank you, I was actually referring too after recruit training. But I should have made that clear in my post. The zero length part is what threw me off. I was under the impression that zero length meant no length; or bald. I'm assuming it means 3/4 of an inch etc.

no 0 does not mean 3/4" or anything under 1"....it means 0, no length, no hair, shaved, etc, etc...you were under the right impression and you assumed wrong.

And no that haircut in that link would NOT be appropriate

jairen
11-19-10, 04:05 AM
I'll attempt to clarify.

When you get a new hair cut your head should be bald (0 inches) around the sides and back, and it can gradually increase in length as it goes up to the top of your head, up to 3 inches.

In the civilian world it's called a "fade" or "bald fade".

Here's an example.

http://haircutsformen.org/buzz/haircuts/buzz131.jpg

indygti
11-19-10, 06:49 AM
They'll teach you all of this stuff in boot camp.

ItalianBeef
11-19-10, 11:05 AM
Go to any barber shop and ask for a "military fade". As long as it starts at 0 (it can start right above your ear) and gradually fades up, you'll be in reg. Just make sure to get a "fresh" cut before a drill weekend because even if you keep your hair cropped short all the time and even if you're 100% completely within regulation someone will give you **** for not spending an extra 15 dollars to buzz a strands the night before. Even if you're a motard that walks around the rest of the month with a super high and tight, you'll still get crap for not showing up with a fresh one.

No hair can be longer than three inches. Gradually faded. Keep it neat and clean. That's all that really matters.

Also, the on-base barbers are a lot cheaper but there's a reason those haircuts are only 7 bucks: they suck.

ItalianBeef
11-19-10, 11:07 AM
Young man, don't worry about getting a haircut before you go to boot camp. The Marine Corps will give you one when you get to MCRD.

This forum exists to ask Marines questions. That's what he did. What he'll get when he gets to MCRD doesn't help him figure out what he'll need when he gets to his reserve unit and they won't necessarily teach him about haircuts at boot camp.

Doberman
11-19-10, 11:08 AM
Thank you for the pic. So is the degree to which your hair gradually increases largely up to you? I don't know barber terminolgoy all that well. I see most marines with hair like that but then you see actor/comedian Lt. Col Rob Riggle who's hair is a good bit longer than in the pic above me. http://marinesmagazine.dodlive.mil/2009/12/14/rob-riggle/

ItalianBeef
11-19-10, 11:12 AM

0 means a pair of clippers with no guard. The problem is that some clippers have their guardless setting a lot higher than the ones they use on base because there's no real industry standard for 0. You will not be required to take a razor to your scalp even though technically that's the only way to genuinely have a "0".

Find a great clips or hair cuttery or some other cheap chain, ask for a military fade starting at 0 and have them blend it with your receding hair line. It won't be as short as it would be with the clippers they use on the depot but that doesn't matter, as long as it's a fresh cut and it's within regs you'll be fine. You'll end up with a millimeter of hair on the sides but it will still be in reg.
They'll teach you all of this stuff in boot camp.
they might. they never mentioned hair regulation in boot camp because we were all bald and the barbers were told to give us high and tights on the last week. then at mct we learned the difference between low reg, medium reg and high reg from the little asian girls at 52 area, then at mos school they stop caring what reg you are and just want you to get it cut every week

but unless you specifically ask a drill instructor to read the regulation, it's not exactly on the training schedule

ItalianBeef
11-19-10, 11:17 AM
Thank you for the pic. So is the degree to which your hair gradually increases largely up to you? I don't know barber terminolgoy all that well. I see most marines with hair like that but then you see actor/comedian Lt. Col Rob Riggle who's hair is a good bit longer than in the pic above me. http://marinesmagazine.dodlive.mil/2009/12/14/rob-riggle/

lol rob riggle is an awesome comedian. he's also a lt col so there really isn't anyone that's going to give him **** about his haircut. he probably crops it shorter for drill weekends but then again he's also public affairs and his celebrity is part of his job so they're not going to make him stay in reg when filming a movie

Doberman
11-19-10, 11:41 AM
Thanks that clears it up alot. The biggest deal was the hair from the top, so long as it's 2 or three inches from the top, in bangs or whatever I can cover up this big ol forehead somewhat. The sides were what I didn't understand completely. I'll just write down what you said. I think I've got to alot of bad barbers in the past, when I tell them to shave the sides and fade into the top of my head where they use the shears, I always end up with the sides sticking straight out and not laying down, so I end up with this goofy mushroom look for a weak or so. I'm probably not telling them the right terminology though.

True, I imagine he and alot of to other reservists like I will hopefully be, probably get a fresh cut before drill.

ItalianBeef
11-19-10, 12:05 PM
keep it at two inches max for drill weekends. three is in reg but you don't want to get lifed over something as stupid as a haircut

if you live near any kind of military base the barbers nearby may already know what to do but worst case, spend twelve bucks at supercuts and tell them you're in the military. say that the fade has to start at the skin and go from there, you'll be fine.

Doberman
11-19-10, 01:39 PM
Thanks, yeah two inches is plenty long enough to cover it up.

AKA HITMAN
11-19-10, 02:13 PM
A haircut would be the last of my worries....a screaming D.I. would keep my mind off that.

Doberman
11-19-10, 02:41 PM
That's true. I'm in decent shape, running about a low 260 PFT, but you can't really prepare yourself for a Drill Instruction, unless you've got like an abusive father or something.

josephd
11-19-10, 06:19 PM
That's true. I'm in decent shape, running about a low 260 PFT, but you can't really prepare yourself for a Drill Instruction, unless you've got like an abusive father or something.

Drill Instruction!?!?...

And comparing a DI to an abusive father?....you have no idea what you are talking about. While I am not going to get into detail of what DI's do for motivation and discipline, it is in no way "abusive".

ItalianBeef
11-19-10, 08:51 PM
Most of them are in no way abusive. Some of them try to skirt the RTR SOP.

Doberman
11-20-10, 01:39 PM
I meant in a verbal sense, and no that wasn't serious. I know that a Drill Instructor cannot physically beat you. Sorry for the typo. I wouldn't have enlisted if I truly thought that.

Does anyone have a pic of a low reg haircut?

josephd
11-20-10, 01:59 PM
google is your friend

Why are you so worried about a haircut?....Your first year in the Corps while at boot, SOI, MOS school(?), and in the starting in the fleet you aren't going to have much say in your haircut. It'll be a nice and moto high and tight

Old Marine
11-20-10, 04:11 PM
I am very supprised that you are not worried about your finger nail length. Most of your time on active duty you will more than likely be required to have a high & tight. The thing about hair is that is grows much faster than your finger nails. Better remember to keep you nails trimmed.

Both of these items are personal hyigine things that are required for health reasons. I doubt that you want a lot of hair when you will be playing in the dirt a bunch.

dback13
11-20-10, 05:54 PM
ahhhhh oh the high and stupid. Don't get one because number one, you'll look like a retard, number two you'll look like a retard and number three you'll look like a retard. It is the single ugliest thing anyone can do to their head...EVER!

ItalianBeef
11-20-10, 09:30 PM
I am very supprised that you are not worried about your finger nail length. Most of your time on active duty you will more than likely be required to have a high & tight. The thing about hair is that is grows much faster than your finger nails. Better remember to keep you nails trimmed.

Both of these items are personal hyigine things that are required for health reasons. I doubt that you want a lot of hair when you will be playing in the dirt a bunch.

Respectfully disagree. High and tights are not required and on most people look utterly ridiculous. I had one high & tight haircut at Pendleton before I realized the girls there don't know wtf they're doing. Ever since then I've asked for medium regs. Stay in reg and get a haircut that looks good on you. Also, you won't have to get your hair cut every week as a reservist. Most importantly remember that in this environment standing out as a potential target - especially when you travel - can be a bad thing.

Doberman
11-20-10, 11:28 PM
That's a good point. I don't want a frat shag or anything, but I think being a reservist I still have to be concerned with looking professional beyond the marine corps. If were my 9-5, or my 24/7 as in the case with most the Marines here, it wouldn't matter. But with trying to work my degree, I probably have need to look as boring as possible.

Is the tapered cut considered with in regulation?
http://www.demarcosbarbershop.com/files/tapercut.gif
It looks like a low fade to me, but I'm obviously ignorant to Marine standards and barber terminology as well.

ItalianBeef
11-20-10, 11:35 PM
what degree? you can still look professional without getting a haircut every week. doesn't mean you can't get a haircut but I rarely go less than two weeks without one. <br>

a tapered cut won't be in reg because it has to start at 0 and gradually fade but it also can't drop below the ears and a tapered cut usually leaves the sideburns and temples too long. just ask for a military fade that doesn't accentuate your receding hairline and you'll be fine. I do the same thing and always stay in reg

Doberman
11-21-10, 12:35 AM
I have a bachelors in Political Science, and I'm working on masters in Public Administration online at Penn State. I see what you mean about the tapered, it does look like it could start at zero, but clearly below the ears. The bangs was the big thing for me, I just need to find a barber that won't leave my head looking like a mushroom.

ItalianBeef
11-21-10, 01:32 AM
protip: old black ladies and skinny effeminate dudes are probably going to be your best bet for quality fades. if you pay seven dollars for a haircut you're going to get seven dollars worth of quality. 15 should be the bare minimum if you need it trimmed up for drill but quality work typically starts at 30 plus tip

Old Marine
11-21-10, 09:48 AM
Heaven forbid that you would become a target because of your haircut. You are either going to become property of the Corps or a slimey civilian. Your choice.

AKA HITMAN
11-21-10, 11:59 AM
Its pretty obvious Mr. Doberman is intellectually superior to us, hence his reasoning goes beyond the obvious questioning of Marine Corps regs. Wait till the fleet youngster, you'll either thrive or become a over educated failure.....

ItalianBeef
11-21-10, 01:11 PM
Heaven forbid that you would become a target because of your haircut. You are either going to become property of the Corps or a slimey civilian. Your choice.

Yeah, heaven forbid. It's part of our yearly training. Talk to the commandant and sgtmaj kent if you have a problem with it. And no, there's a lot of room between those two extremes. I wasn't slimey as a civilian and I sure as hell am no one's property. That kind of attitude drives away good potential; no one wants to be a brainwashed piece of gear and that's not what the Marine Corps wants either.

Old Marine
11-21-10, 03:57 PM
Yeah, heaven forbid. It's part of our yearly training. Talk to the commandant and sgtmaj kent if you have a problem with it. And no, there's a lot of room between those two extremes. I wasn't slimey as a civilian and I sure as hell am no one's property. That kind of attitude drives away good potential; no one wants to be a brainwashed piece of gear and that's not what the Marine Corps wants either.

How would you really know what the Corps wants? You haven't been in the Corps long enough to have even worn out a pair of socks you were issued in Boot.

I would guess you trolled on over here from TL by the looks of your profile.:evilgrin:

dback13
11-21-10, 04:47 PM
You served 50 years ago, he serves now. I guess you know more about today's Marine Corps than he does.

ItalianBeef
11-21-10, 05:07 PM
No need for this to take place in front of poolees. =) Taking it to PMs.

Old Marine
11-21-10, 05:18 PM
You served 50 years ago, he serves now. I guess you know more about today's Marine Corps than he does.

My military mind says I know a hell of a lot more than he does. Most of us older Marines know what is going on these days, and have a lot of respect for those that took over the watch when we left. There are some, these days who think because they read something in a book, think they know everythng there is to know. Some of them do not have the common sense to pour water out of their boots before putting them on. I am pretty sure you have had to deal with these types, or if you have not, Im betting that sooner than later you will.

Doberman
11-21-10, 05:57 PM
Its pretty obvious Mr. Doberman is intellectually superior to us, hence his reasoning goes beyond the obvious questioning of Marine Corps regs. Wait till the fleet youngster, you'll either thrive or become a over educated failure.....

If you took me mentioning my degree as that I'm somehow intellectually superior, I'm sorry you took it that way but it's not what I meant. I'm not sure exactly what you're implying. If you read my first posts on this forum, I don't believe I've came off as anything uppity in regards to my degree. He asked me, so I answered. I tried the Officer route but my PFT was low 260s and a not a 285, so I was not competitive. For whatever reason, lack of discipline or athletic ability. I'll be the first to acknowledge my infirmities. If I knew better about Marine haircut regulations I never would have asked. My degree doesn't matter in regards to the Marines, because nothing I've learned bears an relevance to the Marines.

Sgt Leprechaun
11-22-10, 11:33 PM
Interesting thread. My old azzed haven't been in the reserves since 1996 but still around active duty Marines every week at least...? So take my opine for what thats worth.

When you check in to the reserve unit, check out what EVERYone else is wearing. Likely you'll have a 'high fade' or some such from SOI or Recruit Training.

Copy the majority, and you'll be fine.

Personally, I get a 'high fade', but only because I absolute cannot STAND long hair on myself.

Do what works for YOU, within regulations. As long as you have a 'fresh' haircut before drill, you'll be ok. That's all that most Plt Sgt's and 1stSgt's are going to look for.

Doberman
11-23-10, 10:02 PM
Thank you Sgt Leprechaun. I've seen a few a Marines with somewhat longer than High and Tights, and that was essentially my question. One was a PFC, and the other was a captain. My biggest issue is gonna be finding someone that can actually cut it besides an old black woman lol.

Sgt Leprechaun
11-23-10, 10:11 PM
Simply put, just ask one of the Marines....whose haircut you like. It's what I did LOL.

josephd
11-24-10, 01:25 AM
learn to cut your own IMO....I cut my own, costs too much money to go to a barber twice a week ( I like keeping it trimmed and clean all the time). It took me awhile to get the fading/blending part down but now I give myself a pretty good medium reg/razor fade, shaved bald around the ears and down the back and up to about 1.5" on top

SGT7477
11-24-10, 09:32 AM
Worried about a haircut, earn our title first sunshine, Good Luck, Semper Fidelis.:flag:

SGT7477
11-24-10, 06:41 PM
That's a good point. I don't want a frat shag or anything, but I think being a reservist I still have to be concerned with looking professional beyond the marine corps. If were my 9-5, or my 24/7 as in the case with most the Marines here, it wouldn't matter. But with trying to work my degree, I probably have need to look as boring as possible.

Is the tapered cut considered with in regulation?
http://www.demarcosbarbershop.com/files/tapercut.gif
It looks like a low fade to me, but I'm obviously ignorant to Marine standards and barber terminology as well.
The sideburns are not within regulation, Semper Fidelis.

martinj
11-24-10, 08:32 PM
You can go longer than three inches on top, you just have to do a comb over. Dude personally low reg is the way to go. If your traveling you won't stand out and you look human not like some motard boot straight out of school.

Quinbo
11-26-11, 09:01 PM
Is this hair cut in regs??

http://media.onsugar.com/files/2011/02/08/5/1446/14461643/3c/Hat_Hair_cut.jpg

Sgt Leprechaun
11-26-11, 09:44 PM
Ghey, so possibly....

cubawatcher
11-27-11, 02:00 PM
I think you've got a lot more to worry about than the length of you hair for the next 6 months.A friend of mine is a LT.Col.in the reserves and an engineer for a local company.He wears his hair high and tight just as he expects his Marines to do.No one and I mean no one questions if he looks professional in his civilian job.John Q. Public respects members of the military in this day and age-finally.Wear it short and proud.Semper Fi