PDA

View Full Version : Does it make sense

Patriot8273
11-18-10, 11:20 AM
I had an earlier post about my employer and joining the reserves. I got a lot of great feed back and got my question answered.

I'm 28 so the recruiter told me the clock is ticking if I want to join the Reserves.

I have a full time career with a bank and I make ok money, around 36k/year. I have a raise coming in December though.

I'm not concerned about getting money for joining or anything like that, I have a proud military tradition in my family and I want to serve my country.

My wife isn't totally sold on the idea of it yet and I know it will be hard to lose out on 6-9 months of work. I just really want to become a member of the Marine Corp Reserves and in the grand scheme of things it doesn't seem like 6-9 months away is going to make a huge impact on my life.

Obviously when I get back I will train 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks in the summer, which I feel I would really enjoy.

Sorry for being so long winded, I just wanted some more feed back from Marines on here who may have gone through a similar scenario. Thanks again.:flag:

tdrt
11-18-10, 11:24 AM
I understand your wife's reservations about you being gone for up to 6 months; however, this is a decision you will never regret.

How will you feel about yourself if you don't? Can you live with the regret? Will you be resentful towards your wife?

And becoming a Marine will make a huge impact on your life in ways you can never imagine.

Patriot8273
11-18-10, 11:34 AM
I understand your wife's reservations about you being gone for up to 6 months; however, this is a decision you will never regret.

How will you feel about yourself if you don't? Can you live with the regret? Will you be resentful towards your wife?

And becoming a Marine will make a huge impact on your life in ways you can never imagine.

I feel it is something I would regret. I will just need to talk to her some more about it. We don't have any children yet either. She is just worried about being alone for that long, which I understand.

Rocky C
11-18-10, 03:18 PM

:usmc::thumbup::usmc:

03Mike
11-19-10, 10:12 AM
Obviously when I get back I will train 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks in the summer, which I feel I would really enjoy.

I know that you know this in the back of your mind, but factor into your plans the very real possibility of deploying for up to a year. The Marine Corps Reserve is very much a part of our total force, and in our current situation I'd say that it's an even bet whether or not you will activate and deploy during the course of your enlistment.

You will find a lot of combat vets in Marine reserve infantry units - those that were activated with a reserve unit and those that have been on active duty, got out, and joined the reserve.

Keep in mind too, that reserve activations aren't just to deploy to Afghanistan, Djibouti, or some other hot spot. There are a lot of Marine reservists filling domestic and training missions that the active forces used to do - you could find yourself activated to go to South America and train with our allies for several months under existing treaty obligations (UNITAS) or working other training obligations.

Reserve duty can be great - I'm in no way knocking it. I just want to make sure that you are going in with your eyes open, and that you adequately prepare your wife and family to the possibilities.

tdrt
11-19-10, 10:25 AM
I know that you know this in the back of your mind, but factor into your plans the very real possibility of deploying for up to a year. The Marine Corps Reserve is very much a part of our total force, and in our current situation I'd say that it's an even bet whether or not you will activate and deploy during the course of your enlistment.

You will find a lot of combat vets in Marine reserve infantry units - those that were activated with a reserve unit and those that have been on active duty, got out, and joined the reserve.

Keep in mind too, that reserve activations aren't just to deploy to Afghanistan, Djibouti, or some other hot spot. There are a lot of Marine reservists filling domestic and training missions that the active forces used to do - you could find yourself activated to go to South America and train with our allies for several months under existing treaty obligations (UNITAS) or working other training obligations.

Reserve duty can be great - I'm in no way knocking it. I just want to make sure that you are going in with your eyes open, and that you adequately prepare your wife and family to the possibilities.

Excellent points. Don't delude yourself about being just a "Weekend Warrior"