PDA

View Full Version : Question about BAH and GI Bill -Selected Reserve

Zues
11-16-10, 09:23 PM
im in a reserve unit and admin went home for the night so i cant call

anyways,

i was wanting to start college and was wondering about the pre-requisites for obtaining basic allowance for housing if thats even possible for an E-3, also how this all works

also what is needed to qualify for the Montgomery GI Bill- Selected Reserve to help out with school, any info or links on these two things or any other tips on starting college as a reservist would be greatly appreciated.

smatty0311
11-16-10, 10:21 PM
I am not sure what the reserves can do for you, but if you have the post 9/11 GI Bill, you get a monthly allowance for living expenses. That has been a big help in paying my rent.

josephd
11-17-10, 02:03 AM
you don't rate BAH in the reserves or while in college

As far as school goes you rate to use the Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program, Chapter 1606. You will need to get a NOBE (notice of basic eligibility) form from your training shop, fill it out, and have it signed by you CO. From there you will bring that to your school's Veterans Services office and they should be taking care of the rest for you. As long as your going to school full time (12+ credit hours) you should get right around $300/month.

Also look into the tuition assistance program and/or GI Bill kicker. Both would be applied for and approved through your unit, battallion, and MARFORRES I believe, but its a nice chunk of $$ to cover expenses.

Both these are based on if you haven't been on activation/deployment. If you have been then you rate to use the traditional GI Bill.

Zues
11-17-10, 04:05 PM
alright, i got the NOBE, it was in my SRB already,

GI Bill kicker- is that the $600 'payment' id make to receive more, ive read about that somewhat

and for that and the tuition assistance, these are both through my unit and not the school im applying for, correct?

Zues
11-18-10, 06:38 PM
bump

josephd
11-18-10, 07:50 PM
bump

I really don't have any experience with the kicker or tuition assistance because when I was considering it battalion wasn't approving it for anyone so I didn't bother applying. But I do know that both are something you apply for from within your company/battalion not from your school.

Zues
11-18-10, 11:21 PM
good to go, thanks