PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Career Planners. I need help.

Reddbone
11-15-10, 05:39 PM
I sincerely hope that I'm not violating some TOS by posting this here, but I don't have much time tonight, and I've got a big issue to deal with. Allow me to apologize in advance for any errors.

About 4 months ago, I was identified as overweight and placed on BCP. This is my first time around, so it's a mandatory 6 months, of course. The problem is this: My EAS is December 10th. I don't finish BCP until January 7th. Because I'm in BCP, my re-enlistment code is 3P, which is a no go. I was told that I could extend my contract long enough to finish BCP, and then re-enlist and latmove like I had intended to. Unfortunately, I've just been told that the criteria for extending my contract is much the same as re-enlisting, and my 3P status makes me ineligible. Because they waited until now to inform me of this, I hadn't put any thought into getting out. I don't have any medical issues, injuries, or anything else that could hold me up, and aside from BCP I've never been in trouble. Now, because I'd been told that I could extend, I never worried about Seps/TAMPS or any of the other EAS stuff most Marines deal with long before they actually EAS. Well, I got told today to start doing my Seps/TAMPS, TMO, Base Housing, and Final Physical paperwork, because I'm not able to extend, re-enlist, or anything else. Basically, the long and short of it is this: It's currently Nov. 15th, and I've got until Dec. 09th to get all my stuff in order, find a place to live (in California) and find the money to pay for rent and whatever else. I understand that the situation I'm in is my fault, but I'm at a loss here. I want to re-enlist. I don't want to go back to being a civilian. I like being a Marine. But, worst case scenario, if I could just extend long enough to get my affairs in order, that would be enough.

Again, sorry about the quality of this post, but I'm a bit stressed at the moment. Any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. let me know if I can clear any points up or answer any questions.

Thank you

R/S

Reddbone, USMC

Phantom Blooper
11-15-10, 06:39 PM
Lose the weight....go to your COC and see if you lose the pounds.... could you extend....for renlistment.....

4 months you have been in BCP... have you lost the weight to be back in the standards?

They may or may not but it's worth a try....there are numerous ways to keep a ball from rolling....it's up to you to try before the December date....

Then again they may say where was that mindset/current at when you were gaining the weight....and not staying in standards....

How many pounds do you have to shed to be within the middle ground of your height and weight standards?

Good luck:evilgrin:

Reddbone
11-15-10, 08:08 PM
The main reason I didn't put too many details about my BCP status is because I've been informed that it doesn't matter one way or the other. I'm on BCP, therefore, I can't reenlist. I've heard different things from other people, but I need to know my best options, obviously, which is why I'm here.

But, since it seems to apply, here goes. I'm no stranger to being heavy. I've been fat all my life. But I decided to fix that, and one year before I joined, I weighed 350 lbs. When I met my recruiter, I weighed in at 278. 11 days later I weighed 250 lbs. I then DEPed in. When I shipped for San Diego, I weighed 225. Graduated at 214 (keep in mind I stand 6'2" and I'm not skinny or scrawny, I looked anorexic and extremely unhealthy) Quickly went back up to 240, with 22 percent body fat (back when you could have a 1st class PFT and have 22%). When the order changed, I dropped to 19% (I'm old) and maintained 240. Seven months ago, I quit smoking with the help of the prescription drug Zyban. Over the two month course of treatment, I gained 8% bodyfat. I STILL weighed 240. But, of course, being at 27% put me on BCP. Since I knew I was going to be on BCP for six months, I started hitting the gym and lifting heavy, since we all know that muscle burns calories, and since I had the time, I figured losing the bodyfat and getting a higher PFT score would be a good use of the time. Since then I've gained 2 inches on my chest, 1 inch on my arms, and I've gone from 6 pullups to 14. I've dropped 2 minutes from my run time, down to 22:30, and my last two CFT's were a 300, after which I injured myself, had light duty for a month, and immediately after light duty ran a 297. I'm not a PT stud by any stretch, but I can run, and there's not a man in my battalion I can't carry.

To answer your question regarding my mindset, you're right. I should have PT'd more, but with the stress of quitting cigarettes and continuing to be a good husband and father despite the stress I was dealing with, my PT fell by the wayside. Should it have? No. But it happened anyways, and now I'm dealing with it.

The last question you asked was regarding my weight. Two weeks ago, I weighed 242. Since then I have been running everyday, 5 to 7 miles of interval runs. Today I weighed in at 226. I still need to get down to 214, but like I said, it doesn't matter. I could be 1 lb over, or 200 lbs over, I'm still over. Which is why I need to know what I can do to stay in. I was told multiple times that I was a good Marine, and I would be able to extend, reenlist, lat move and move on with my career. Only now am I finding out that I can't do any of that. And I get told this with 3 weeks left to find a home for my family and deal with EAS'ing at the same time.

I know it sounds like I'm *****ing and complaining, and while I am pretty upset about the whole thing, I know that you can't get help if you don't ask for it. Which brings me full circle with an expanded version of my original question.

"Does anyone know of an order, regulation, MarAdmin, NAVMC, anything at all that will enable me to stay in? Any help would be appreciated." Because I've never been in a situation like this before, and I don't know what to do. Thank you.