PDA

View Full Version : Military Conceal Carry? | Service Members Safety Act of 2011

LoveOfCountry
11-12-10, 03:38 PM
I'm looking for input on this, and possibly some ideas on how to take it to the next step.

Service Members Safety Act of 2011
Help us make this military personnel nationwide concealed carry law a reality. The application process and background check would still apply, but the permit's reciprocity would become accepted throughout the entire United States.

Service Members Safety Act of 2011 (http://www.kevinwebb22.com/politics/service-member-safety-act-of-2011)

Let me know your thoughts on this, as it will help us shape the official legislation.

The idea is in place, but we are still working on the logistics for getting it into some type of official legislation.

Please send this information out to your friends in your spare time.

Thanks,

hbharrison
11-12-10, 04:16 PM
Don't certain as I am not a Lawyer, but as I get it becuase active military is in fact prohibited under consitutional law. Now as to non-acvtive military I would think it would be no problem. Have to keep an eye on this one to see what the legal nut jobs have to say in DC have to say.

bootlace15
11-12-10, 04:17 PM
I would have to say No. I have a problem with to many sherriffs and some of them don't have common sense either.

LoveOfCountry
11-12-10, 04:23 PM
@bootlace,

You might be looking at this from the wrong perspective. This is not about whether military personnel past or present are allowed to carry. Those laws already exist.

This is simply to allow the permit they are already eligible for to be accepted throughout all of the United States, and not just their home state and states of reciprocity.

The service member would still have to apply for and qualify for this permit, just as they would an individual state permit. The only difference is that once they qualify... it would be accepted nationwide, and not just in there state. Nationwide reciprocity.

Stupid people will carry guns. We know that. Stupid people are in the military. We know that as well. Whether they can carry or not is a completely different topic. This is simply about the flexibility of the permits.

bpeterson
11-12-10, 04:24 PM
Let me know when I can help. I think this is on the correct path.

Semper fi

LoveOfCountry
11-12-10, 04:29 PM
The only thing I am not sure of is localities that do not allow hand guns PERIOD... like Chicago and D.C.

hrscowboy
11-12-10, 06:14 PM
I guess my question is why does anyone in the Military need to have a Conceal carry permit...

hbharrison
11-12-10, 07:13 PM
@bootlace,

You might be looking at this from the wrong perspective. This is not about whether military personnel past or present are allowed to carry. Those laws already exist.

This is simply to allow the permit they are already eligible for to be accepted throughout all of the United States, and not just their home state and states of reciprocity.

The service member would still have to apply for and qualify for this permit, just as they would an individual state permit. The only difference is that once they qualify... it would be accepted nationwide, and not just in there state. Nationwide reciprocity.

Stupid people will carry guns. We know that. Stupid people are in the military. We know that as well. Whether they can carry or not is a completely different topic. This is simply about the flexibility of the permits.

At this point in time I can only say that with each State honoring or not honoring the others permits it would be a guestion of the States agreeing to honor a Fed permit and right now there are some States are not going to honor anything the Fed has to say when it comes to that. So me thinks it is a wait and see deal right now.

jairen
11-13-10, 06:33 AM
I guess my question is why does anyone in the Military need to have a Conceal carry permit...

Same reason as people who aren't in the military. Self defense.

LoveOfCountry
11-13-10, 09:52 PM
The "Law Enforcement Safety Act of 2004" has already been signed into law, and is currently active. This new legislation would simply expanding it to the military community.

If you read the entire article I posted, then you would see all of this information, along with details on the Law Enforcement's version.

LoveOfCountry
11-13-10, 09:58 PM
And here is the Facebook fan page if you guys want to stay up to date on it all. Just launched it tonight. There is also a group page that was created as well.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Service-Members-Safety-Act/170932766259825

LoveOfCountry
11-13-10, 10:03 PM
One last link... It is in response to regards to a hrscowboy, and is in regards to an entire family was murdered after the wife and 11-year old daughter were both raped.

This is why I carry. It is why my wife carries. It is why my entire family will know how to properly use a weapon for self-defense.

Baker1971
11-13-10, 10:24 PM
I thought most folks in this country wanted to get away from national this and national that, and let the states run their own shows----people think that already there is too much national involvement in our lives, federal involvement. Are you concerned about this being yet another federal intrusion? Pretty soon there will be no need for states to even exist. It can be one giant America, but not the United States of America. Is this what we really want? If not, does this proposed legislation push us even more toward the day when states' rights will be something in a history book?
Once you get a nationwide license to do anything, doesn't it automatically follow that the federal government gets closer and closer? More pervasive, more interfering, more regulatory.

hbharrison
11-13-10, 10:39 PM
From what I see as a retired LEO the States are the ones who will make the choice as if they have CCW or not and who gets one. I know that several military people have then and the State is the one that gave it to them. So I say this is not needed now or ever. It is the state not the Feds who need to run things on CCW.

The DUKE
11-13-10, 10:56 PM
Good luck with this one son,
I fought this fight in NYS for most of my adult life,
I was a legal licensed NYS gun dealer,
held an FFL and worked my shop for 17 years.
I used to write,
call,
send letters and info of proof of the good that carrying a sidearm can do and cause, the stats that showed most scumbags would definately not bother someone they knew was armed,
all to no avail,
Sarah Brady has a lock on the balls of any and all politicians in that communistic state,
same with Diane Finestien in California,
a host of others,
such as new jersey,
massachussets,
virginia,
all communistic in nature with regard to firearms.
your never going to get anything like this to even be put on the table,
little own taken seriously,
hey try as you will,
I commend you for you vigor and youth full enthusiasm,
but its never going to happen.
you'd be better off sticking to your state and basically on a state level,
at least hey have a bit more of common sense left to them with regard to whats right and whats not,
well some states do some states are simply insane and make the good guys the bad guys and like it that way,
FYI,
if your into research try looking into the reason NYS has the "Sullivan act" which is what you refer to with your line about mandatory one year in jail for carrying without their permission.
You'll get a kick on just who that was and how it came about to be a law in NYS.

hrscowboy
11-13-10, 10:56 PM
butch being a retired chief of police 19 miles from whiteman Airforce Base i have had to deal with Military CCW and at times it becomes very hectic.. I agree with you on the states..

LoveOfCountry
11-13-10, 11:19 PM
@Baker1971,

This legislation is an extended freedom to "the people," to keep and bear arms, and provide one's self with the means to protect himself and his family regardless of where he is traveling to. If your "state rights" argument rang true throughout history, then there would potentially still exist things such as slavery... as that was another "state rights" issue.

At the end of the day, it isn't really a state rights issue.

I have a question.

Is your driver's license valid nationwide, or can you only drive in the state of your residence? If a state decided that their driver's license was only going to be good in their state, and the federal government appealed that... would you support it or not?

This isn't much different. Americans have the constitutional right to protect themselves with a firearm. Why limit the amount of protection that one can provide themselves?

DanM
11-14-10, 01:28 AM
Looks like it would limit those " rights " to a specific group of people. Are the millions of veterans who are not active duty or retired excluded for a reason?

hrscowboy
11-14-10, 05:03 AM
Some states and even ATF have imposed laws and a data base on veterans that have PTSD that does not allow them to even own a firearm and what alot of the veterans are not aware of is that the VA is the one that started the data base and have given it too law enforcement and keep it updated. I believe if you check the federal form one of the questions is, are you under any medical care for mental illness if you check that answer no and you purchase that firearm and a Law enforcement does an NCIC check on you and you are on the data base you are in violation of federal law and the officer has no
alternative but to arrest you and take possession of your firearm. This has happened to several of my officers on domestic violence cases and individuals that didnt use the correct spelling of there names. And as duke said thank the brady act for alot of the bullcrap..

Marine1011
11-14-10, 09:01 AM
There's a lot to be said for rights not stopping when you cross a state line, so I kind of agree with the original poster, maybe it wont come to nothing but we can always try

hbharrison
11-14-10, 11:48 AM
Kansas just passed a amendment to our consitution that change a ruling made back in 1905 by our Sumperms. It says now that all citizens have the right to keep and bear arms not just the military. Keep trying yes by all means keep trying can't hurt.

silverdollar
11-15-10, 08:15 AM
Where does the 2ed amendment say anything about permits?

michagnu
11-15-10, 05:58 PM
It doesn't say anything about permits. The problem is that you bought the gun. See there is this clause in the Constitution that says Congress has the right to regulate commerce. It was not intended as a preemptive power over the rest of the Constitution but there you go. The links in the chains of slavery will be paid for buy your purchases.
What type of government do we have?
A republic ...if we can keep it. -Benjamin Franklin