PDA

View Full Version : preparing for boot?

4 door beast
11-12-10, 02:49 AM
i just want to know evryones ideas whats the best way to prepare for boot camp, i leave march 7th, i know everyone will say run run run, but im wondering i weigh 170 bls natural weight if i cut maybe 10-15 lbs will it ultimately hurt or help me? i was thinking no caffine, or sugars and back to how my diet was for highschool wrestling season, my mos, is infantry what are the possiblities id make if i really had the dedication and motivation to make it in recon? new so sorry if this is a dumb post...

AAV Crewchief
11-12-10, 03:42 AM
i just want to know evryones ideas whats the best way to prepare for boot camp, i leave march 7th, i know everyone will say run run run, but im wondering i weigh 170 bls natural weight if i cut maybe 10-15 lbs will it ultimately hurt or help me? i was thinking no caffine, or sugars and back to how my diet was for highschool wrestling season, my mos, is infantry what are the possiblities id make if i really had the dedication and motivation to make it in recon? new so sorry if this is a dumb post...

There are no dumb questions and it only behooves you to ask where you have questions.

1) What type of shape are you in right now?
2) Have you done a baseline PFT to see where you are at physically?
3) You'll lose weight intially in bootcamp and then gain it back towards the end. It'll be structured differently....fat loss versus muscle gain unless you are already fit.
4) Cutting back on caffeine and sugar is a good idea. You won't get any of that at Parris Island unless things have changed drastically and soda machines have been installed in squad bays.
5) Wanna be a Recon Marine? Tell that to the recruiter. Make sure it is noted in your processing paperwork. I was interviewed at PI for Recon by a Sgt Major who had been Force Recon. By the time of my interview I was hesitant to do it and never went into Recon until I went into the reserves after my active duty stint. Had I done so initially, I might have never separated and left the Corps.
6) Can you swim well? You will have to if you want Recon.

Good luck and don't be scared to ask questions.

indygti
11-12-10, 05:19 AM
Since you're new I won't jump on you too much.

First off, one of the forum rules here for any member is to have their profile filled out. The two items you do have filled out are incorrect; you are not a Marine, and you are not an E-1, you are a poolee and your profile should reflect such.

Secondly, the four exercies you do most in boot camp are run, pushups, pullups, and crunches. These four exercises cover just about every aspect of fitness, so just concentrate on performing those exercises using proper technique until you master them.

Thirdly, if you want to be Recon, you better start slaying yourself day in and day out because Recon is no joke. If you can't swim, you might as well not even bother, or take it upon yourself to get lessons. To be a Recon Marine you need to be in top physical and mental shape and that begins now.

Yonkers
11-12-10, 07:03 AM
Work on endurance as the physical aspect... work on not getting into things and not overreacting and thinking about the big picture for the mental aspect.

Phantom Blooper
11-12-10, 07:24 AM
You are having sound advice from these Marines....

You also state that you do not leave until the 7th of March which is approximately six months.....

i leave march 7th

You need to PM a moderator jinelson,yellowing,or Sgt Leprechaun to change your status from a Marine to a friend or poolee.

There is also a wealth of information in the Poolee Hall of Fame and Ask A Marine forums that will be beneficial to our questions.....

Reading....like milk does the body good!:evilgrin:

Ramadi01
11-12-10, 02:48 PM
Ok POOLIE i will help you out.

Recon doesnt want you. Why you ask?? Well I will tell you whether you wanted to know or not but since MARSOC invasion into the Corps around 5 years ago they stole away all the fanboys of the SF community leaving the people in 0321 field having a good history together. I doubt that because you watched generation kill and where a ghillies suit in call of duty you can hack it in Recon. Do us alll a favor and stop wasting your time and the Corps money because you think you want to be Recon. You have no idea what its like, you sacrifice much more then just family time.

PT goals incase you turn my bitter post into motivation
3 mile time: 18:30 or faster
pullups: 20+
crunches 100 in under 1:30
swim 500 meters in under 17 minutes, 20m underwater swim, tread water for 15 float for 30, followed by a 45kb ruck hike 12 miles in 4 hours.
Cliff Notes:
Take a Lap civilian you arnt going to cut it.

LoveOfCountry
11-12-10, 04:45 PM
Run 6 days a week and do 200 pull-ups a day. That's a good start.

If you want to go Recon, then go for it. Obviously worry about getting through boot camp first, but if you think you have what it takes to go Recon, then give it a shot. Worst thing that can happen is you don't make it, in which case you'll still most likely end up in regular infantry.

If you're going Recon, then I strongly suggest living in the water before and after your runs, pull-ups, and crunches.

Ruck with about 30 lbs. to start, then gradually work your way up to 75+. No less than 5 miles.

There are plenty of people on here that will chew you up about what you want to do, so I'll take this route instead.

Good luck.

tripledog
11-13-10, 11:06 PM
Sounds to me like recon is more like the old corps.

CplAllen
11-13-10, 11:23 PM
Just remember one thing: DO NOT QUIT.

AlexJH
11-14-10, 03:34 AM
Ok POOLIE i will help you out.

Recon doesnt want you. Why you ask?? Well I will tell you whether you wanted to know or not but since MARSOC invasion into the Corps around 5 years ago they stole away all the fanboys of the SF community leaving the people in 0321 field having a good history together. I doubt that because you watched generation kill and where a ghillies suit in call of duty you can hack it in Recon. Do us alll a favor and stop wasting your time and the Corps money because you think you want to be Recon. You have no idea what its like, you sacrifice much more then just family time.

PT goals incase you turn my bitter post into motivation
3 mile time: 18:30 or faster
pullups: 20+
crunches 100 in under 1:30
swim 500 meters in under 17 minutes, 20m underwater swim, tread water for 15 float for 30, followed by a 45kb ruck hike 12 miles in 4 hours.
Cliff Notes:
Take a Lap civilian you arnt going to cut it.

Meh, buddy of mine got Recon guaranteed in his contract like a week ago.

Now, him making it in is a whole different story. But if they didn't want bodies, he never would've gotten the contract.