PDA

View Full Version : FA vs Infantry

code7
11-06-10, 08:46 PM
Hello Marines,

I am in the process of enlisting in the Reserves and will be going to MEPS for my physical on Friday.

My recruiter told me I had to have decided on an MOS by that date.

I've been looking at 0311 and 0811 but I can't make up my mind.

I understand the basics of each MOS but what I really want to know is the first hand experiences of those who have been deployed, and the pros and cons of each.

Thank you all.

- Frank

Ceckert85
11-07-10, 03:34 AM
0811 - As a member of a field artillery howitzer battery, cannoneers prepare artillery pieces and equipment for movement, combat, and firing. They inspect and prepare ammunition for firing, and perform the various jobs incident to firing such as, laying for elevation and deflection, loading the piece, and handling ammunition. Field artillery cannoneers perform preventive maintenance and clean artillery pieces and equipment. They make routine tests and authorize repairs to equipment. Camouflage position, protect equipment from chemical warfare agents, and construct field fortifications.

0311 - The riflemen employ the M16A2 service rifle, the M203 grenade launcher and the squad automatic weapon (SAW). Riflemen are the primary scouts, assault troops, and close combat forces available to the MAGTF. They are the foundation of the Marine infantry organization, and as such are the nucleus of the fire team in the rifle squad, the scout team in the LAR squad, scout snipers in the infantry battalion, and reconnaissance or assault team in the reconnaissance units. Noncommissioned officers are assigned as fire team leaders, scout team leaders, rifle squad leaders, or rifle platoon guides.

03Mike
11-07-10, 03:58 PM
Hello Marines,

I am in the process of enlisting in the Reserves ...

- Frank

Frank - I guess this means that you are tying to choose between two different reserve units?

code7
11-07-10, 04:50 PM
Frank - I guess this means that you are tying to choose between two different reserve units?

Correct.

The 0311 slot is for 2/23 G Co.

The 0811 slot is for 5/14 Battery O.