PDA

View Full Version : How long must a guy wait!

GrizzWinter
11-04-10, 04:24 PM
Damn I know I swore in on an open contract, but that was back in April. I mean i leave the end of November and I still dont have my job! Some of my pool have already gotten theirs ( especially seniors in high school) but damn. My recruiter said hes been "looking" for months and i havnt gotten anything. I really just want to be a grunt!

tblake87
11-04-10, 04:29 PM
I picked my jobs back in August and still have yet to receive final word back. I was aiming for aircraft mechanic and my recruiter has called me before and told me I was guaranteed the job, but I would have to leave the very next day and I just couldn't do it so I had to give it up. I ship out January 3rd and I'm still waiting to hear back as well. A few others in my pool are having the same issue.

bartone
11-04-10, 06:03 PM
Damn I know I swore in on an open contract, but that was back in April. I mean i leave the end of November and I still dont have my job! Some of my pool have already gotten theirs ( especially seniors in high school) but damn. My recruiter said hes been "looking" for months and i havnt gotten anything. I really just want to be a grunt!

Hang in there man, I got my date bumped back a couple times and I have been in since March I got all thrown around until one day I decided I wanted to be a Comm Marine and now I've got a 06xx contract, be firm with your recruiter that you want to be a grunt, but be prepared to have to wait a bit longer for it. Good luck.

GrizzWinter
11-04-10, 06:30 PM
Hang in there man, I got my date bumped back a couple times and I have been in since March I got all thrown around until one day I decided I wanted to be a Comm Marine and now I've got a 06xx contract, be firm with your recruiter that you want to be a grunt, but be prepared to have to wait a bit longer for it. Good luck.

You can get your date pushed back if you dont have your job yet? I've been bugging my recruiter and the SSGT. who runs the other office that we are attached to, but still nothing yet

GrizzWinter
11-04-10, 06:39 PM
lol my old date was the 15th like yours.

DubGee
11-04-10, 07:13 PM
Just an FYI. Your allowed to deny shipping out, if you dont have the job you want.

lake9
11-04-10, 07:23 PM
Damn that sucks man.
got my 03XX a few weeks ago.
i signed in June.
You will get it if you really want it.
Good Luck man!

GrizzWinter
11-04-10, 07:44 PM
Just an FYI. Your allowed to deny shipping out, if you dont have the job you want.

Really? what happens after you deny? Your only allowed to be in the dep 365 days right? so I would have a few months to wait?

RBrouse
11-05-10, 12:42 AM
you can deny as long as you want the initial 365 days unless you really **** off a recruiter and I have herd of people going longer than a year I think all you have to do is redo your oath and meps ****

Kiri
11-05-10, 01:20 PM
There's a few in my pool that are actually in DEP more than their year they're allowed, but I'm not sure how they managed that...

Sorry buddy, but I think you're screwed. Either he's not looking, or they just aren't there. There are other cool jobs than infantry, but it's really your choice. Good luck.

~ Poolee Gibson

younger223
11-05-10, 02:08 PM
Your area is probably just out of those contracts buddy. Everyone wants to be a grunt lol. I did, but I got combat support instead. Still combat MOS's so I am happy. Good luck.

Steve018
11-05-10, 02:26 PM
Same, I swore in open contract in April and still dont have an MOS. It's really bugging me, my ship date is Jan 10 so I hope I have something by then...

bartone
11-05-10, 02:46 PM
Alot of us were going through the exact same thing not to long ago, best advice that was found was by Kiri, check out the link, a bunch of us took the advice and from what I've read everything worked out.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99490

Good luck guys :marine:

The actual site Kiri got the info from is here.

http://futurejarheads.webs.com/mossjobs.htm

Yankeeloon200
11-05-10, 07:34 PM
Quick question for poolee's i was looking at MOS's yesterday and almost none were available so my Recruiter just put in a Wishlist for me for MOS's im kind of interested in but not entirerly.

Can i delay my shipdate to get the MOS i want? I want to get Intelligence but its not available and the other jobs available is stuff like logistics and communications and personally im not interested into that at all.

RBrouse
11-06-10, 03:23 AM
from what i have herd Intelligence is next to imposible to get into latley

Yonkers
11-06-10, 03:39 AM
Just literally got back from PI an hour ago...

Lots of the people in my platoon didn't like the MOS they got with open contract.. there was this one kid that got motor T and he was at the edge of tears. It's like playing russian roulette... don't play with your life dude.. get the MOS you want and don't accept no for an answer. If you have that attitude your recruiter will have no choice but to get you what you want.

best of luck to you,

Pvt Yonkers

luis2787
11-06-10, 10:39 AM
Just literally got back from PI an hour ago...

Lots of the people in my platoon didn't like the MOS they got with open contract.. there was this one kid that got motor T and he was at the edge of tears. It's like playing russian roulette... don't play with your life dude.. get the MOS you want and don't accept no for an answer. If you have that attitude your recruiter will have no choice but to get you what you want.

best of luck to you,

Pvt Yonkers

i picked communications because seemed like a really cool job field i am hoping to get field radio operator.

RogueSteel
11-06-10, 10:59 AM
I have been asking to get 0651 since I swore in in May. My recruiter not only got me my job, but got me to ship a month early. I leave on the 15th now,put a Marine up to anything and he'll get it squared away.

GrizzWinter
11-08-10, 12:09 PM
Got my job! Security forces. UV if that makes a difference.

Steve018
11-08-10, 12:11 PM

Lucky bastard, thats my first pick. I hope I get that UV contract!

Kiri
11-08-10, 01:49 PM

Well then I have been corrected. Congrats and what-not.

ScarSniper
11-08-10, 01:56 PM
Quick question for poolee's i was looking at MOS's yesterday and almost none were available so my Recruiter just put in a Wishlist for me for MOS's im kind of interested in but not entirerly.

Can i delay my shipdate to get the MOS i want? I want to get Intelligence but its not available and the other jobs available is stuff like logistics and communications and personally im not interested into that at all.

Since it hasn't been answered directly, yes you can. You're not obligated to ship out to bootcamp unless you get the contract you want. If you want to kick in the door, waving the four-four...go infantry. If your ambition is to be intelligent and you have the score for it, prepare for a wait, but wait for intelligence. It's your life, man. If you're not that much of a communications person, don't do it. Don't sign a contract you're not absolutely sure about and don't feel pressured to do so because you don't want to dissapoint your recruiter. MOS' are available, you just have to be smart about it.

Yankeeloon200
11-08-10, 07:57 PM
Since it hasn't been answered directly, yes you can. You're not obligated to ship out to bootcamp unless you get the contract you want. If you want to kick in the door, waving the four-four...go infantry. If your ambition is to be intelligent and you have the score for it, prepare for a wait, but wait for intelligence. It's your life, man. If you're not that much of a communications person, don't do it. Don't sign a contract you're not absolutely sure about and don't feel pressured to do so because you don't want to dissapoint your recruiter. MOS' are available, you just have to be smart about it.

Thanks for the response. And yea my scores are ok i guess i have a 104 GT score and you only need a 100 to get Intelligence so i think im good.

But yea, im probably gonna tell my recruiter that im either doing 02XX or im out to threaten him. Because even though i want to earn the title really badly, i dont want to be miserable for 4 years and be one of those Marine's that regretted their time.

But anyway congrats on getting 0300 its impossible to get over here in NY. Almost every recruiter over here was a rifleman and they loved it more than anything.

tblake87
11-08-10, 08:46 PM
I'm 54 days from shipdate still with no official word on a final job. I know my recruiter told me there were some openings to ship out in the next few weeks, I'm going to stop in and find out what jobs are actually available. It would be a nice bonus to actually get to ship out earlier if a job I want is there.

Wenzel
11-08-10, 10:15 PM
I spoke to my recruiter about what an Open Contract is about, it actually sounds rather bad @$$. Basically if you go in Open Contract, any of the wannabees jobs that drop out during boot can potentially become yours.

Andrew Jackson
11-09-10, 02:12 AM
man I wanted 03xx and it took months. I finally got it a few weeks ago and I DEP'ed in June 3, 2010. Ride your recruiters butt, ride the head of the RSS's butt too.

Steve018
11-09-10, 07:13 PM
I spoke to my recruiter about what an Open Contract is about, it actually sounds rather bad @$$. Basically if you go in Open Contract, any of the wannabees jobs that drop out during boot can potentially become yours.

You also have just as a big of a chance becoming a United States Marine Postman.