PDA

View Full Version : quick question my fellow poolees

luis2787
11-02-10, 02:04 PM
is it true when you loose weight and get down to your normal weight that pull ups tend to be easier. reason i asked is because ive lossed about 14 pounds and the pull ups seem to be easier because i feel lighter i still have to loose 12 more pounds but when i get down to my normal weight i am hoping be alot easier lifting my body weight. plus im also doing the recon ron pull up program. any thoughts?

ScarSniper
11-02-10, 02:15 PM
is it true when you loose weight and get down to your normal weight that pull ups tend to be easier. reason i asked is because ive lossed about 14 pounds and the pull ups seem to be easier because i feel lighter i still have to loose 12 more pounds but when i get down to my normal weight i am hoping be alot easier lifting my body weight. plus im also doing the recon ron pull up program. any thoughts?

That's a good question. I've never considered that. Well think of this, a pull-up is nothing more then your arms lifting your body weight, right? So if you weigh 140 that's what your arms are lifting everytime you pull yourself above the bar. Now muscles weigh more than fat and a muscular arm is bound to be heavier and stronger than one with pure flab...so if you drop 14 lbs and you were doing lets say 8 pull-ups, it's reasonable to assume that your ARMS, which are doing all the lifting, will be stronger, and probably not much SMALLER. So if your arms weighed about 20 lbs in flab before and you've lost 14lbs overall..I'm not a scientist but lets give or take, what? 2 percent of that? 0.4? That's not much of a difference in weight loss..if anything, muscle weighs more than fat so your arms may have gotten bigger even though your body has been trimmed...and since your arms are used to lifting your body at 14 lbs heavier than it is now, it's safe to say that they would be able to support your body weight with more ease. So in my opinion, I'd say yes..it should be easier for you..I'd even go as far as to say it might be easier for you than for others who are in shape or average, because your arms are so used to the heavy lifting. But of course, it's all proportion so it's impossible to be sure. I'd say yes though. lol.

luis2787
11-02-10, 03:48 PM
That's a good question. I've never considered that. Well think of this, a pull-up is nothing more then your arms lifting your body weight, right? So if you weigh 140 that's what your arms are lifting everytime you pull yourself above the bar. Now muscles weigh more than fat and a muscular arm is bound to be heavier and stronger than one with pure flab...so if you drop 14 lbs and you were doing lets say 8 pull-ups, it's reasonable to assume that your ARMS, which are doing all the lifting, will be stronger, and probably not much SMALLER. So if your arms weighed about 20 lbs in flab before and you've lost 14lbs overall..I'm not a scientist but lets give or take, what? 2 percent of that? 0.4? That's not much of a difference in weight loss..if anything, muscle weighs more than fat so your arms may have gotten bigger even though your body has been trimmed...and since your arms are used to lifting your body at 14 lbs heavier than it is now, it's safe to say that they would be able to support your body weight with more ease. So in my opinion, I'd say yes..it should be easier for you..I'd even go as far as to say it might be easier for you than for others who are in shape or average, because your arms are so used to the heavy lifting. But of course, it's all proportion so it's impossible to be sure. I'd say yes though. lol.

thanks for the answer cause yea it just seems alot easier doing pull ups ever since i lossed the weight.

shadox
11-03-10, 09:55 AM
I would say it does help quite a bit. When I weighed in at 196 lbs., I was having issues doing 4 pull-ups. Now that I'm losing weight (down to 185) I'm able to do 12, and every day I'm getting better.

Steve018
11-03-10, 10:35 AM
I just started the Recon Ron Program. It's a pretty good work out. My only concern is that since it's everyday I'm not sure if its good for your muscles.

luis2787
11-03-10, 11:41 AM
I just started the Recon Ron Program. It's a pretty good work out. My only concern is that since it's everyday I'm not sure if its good for your muscles.

i do it every other day becuase i do light weights after it and damn you feel the burn lol

younger223
11-03-10, 12:36 PM
Recon Ron Program FTW lol. When I started doing pull-ups I weighted 155 and could do maybe 6 pull-ups. Three months later, I could do like 12-14. That was before the program. Since I started it in the last two months, I can get around 23 pull-ups and weigh about 170. But I have also been taking a lot more protein than usual. So losing weight can help, but gaining weight boosted my work outs a lot. The fact that you do it every day doesn't really mess with your muscles since it is your own body weight. On my copy of the program it says to add up the number of pull-ups from the step you're on, divide by three, and that you should be able to max out around that number. Instead of doing that, I just max out once a week at PT. Every other day I just do my step.

younger223
11-03-10, 12:37 PM
And by "mess with your muscles," I meant effect them in the long run.

luis2787
11-03-10, 01:04 PM
And by "mess with your muscles," I meant effect them in the long run.

yah after i do everything i do about 45 mins of cardio which is really helps my endurance

younger223
11-03-10, 02:45 PM
keep up the good work guys.

luis2787
11-03-10, 04:53 PM
keep up the good work guys.

i am trying to get down to like 950 mile and half.

Jstncase
11-07-10, 02:13 AM
Sorry but am I missing something? are you asking if it's easier to do pull ups if you lose weight?

My answer: Is it easier to lift 5 pounds or 10 pounds?:nerd: