PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to be a Marine, but Overweight.

NsueroJr
11-01-10, 12:21 PM
Hello everyone, My name is Ney and being a Marine has been my dream since I was a little kid. My cousin is currently a DI in SD and he's been very inspiring for me. So I decided to pick up the slack and follow my dream.

I am currently 218lbs , 5'11.
i can't do ONE pull-up and can run a mile in about 13min..BAD.
I can do about 20-30 sit-ups in 2 min..BAD again.

I decided to go on a Diet to lose weight and start running frequently to progress and get this unwanted weight off. I also will start weight lifting to help me with my pull-ups. I have talked to a recruiter but can't DEP in yet because of my weight. I want to be a U.S Marine and I wont let anything stop me.

I couln't post in the Pool (ee) forum so I decided to post this on here.

Any help would be appreciated..thanks.

tdrt
11-01-10, 12:32 PM
You're doing everything right. It's just a matter of common sense. Eat less, exercise more.

Cut out all the bad carbs, sodas, junk food, etc. And oh -- whatever's in that glass you're holding better be water. Alcohol has to go too if you're serious about weight loss.

NsueroJr
11-01-10, 12:35 PM
You're doing everything right. It's just a matter of common sense. Eat less, exercise more.

Cut out all the bad carbs, sodas, junk food, etc. And oh -- whatever's in that glass you're holding better be water. Alcohol has to go too if you're serious about weight loss.

I dont drink ANY alcohol.. and starting today, im'm going to exercise frequently and go on a diet. I want this so bad. I want to make my family, friend, and country proud..

I expect to lose 30-40 lbs and be able to run 3 miles under 28 min by next summer.

tdrt
11-01-10, 12:51 PM
Good for you. But I would change "exercise frequently" to exercise EVERY DAY!!

The diet, you know what you need to do. Don't forget about portion control too. All common sense.

Keep us updated on your progress!

NsueroJr
11-01-10, 12:53 PM
Good for you. But I would change "exercise frequently" to exercise EVERY DAY!!

The diet, you know what you need to do. Don't forget about portion control too. All common sense.

Keep us updated on your progress!

you're right, everyday!

I will keep everyone posted

03Mike
11-01-10, 01:17 PM
A couple of thoughts...

First, I applaude your for being willing to do the work to get where you need to be.

- Keep your PT progressive - vary your routine - but do cardio (run, bike, swim) and pull ups every day.
- Keep a written log of your PT - what you plan to do and what you accomplish. Review it daily (it's much harder to skip a day or two if you have a written plan showing that you planned to run 2 miles today but didn't).
- Get a workout buddy. It's much easier if you have someone to push you - and it's harder to skip a day when you just don't feel like doing it if you have someone waiting to sweat with you.
- TDRT has a good point above, but I'd be willing to let you slack down to PTing only six days a week. Your body needs a day to heal and recover (but not two - keep your goal in focus).
- Once you get your routine going, change it. Cross training is good. Mix it up.
- Weights are a good start, but the only way to get better at doing pull-ups is to do pull-ups. At a minimum, six days a week.

Good Luck!

DrZ
11-01-10, 01:18 PM
Go back to your recruiter and tell them you want to be a Marine. Request permission to join them on the poolee events until you are in good enough shape and in the weight requirements to be come a poolee. Most events involve PT and it will be to your benefit. Continue your diet and exercise routines. With the Recruiter's permission.... PT with them. If you can't get their permission.... catch a poolee who is coming out and find out the schedule. Work out with them from a distance. Do what they do and work your butt off. After a while...the recruiter will take notice and invite you in. Everytime you talk to one of the recuiters.... just remind them of your desire to be a Marine.

Make it happen!

NsueroJr
11-01-10, 01:24 PM
Thanks alot guys.

I have PTed with poolees and my recruiter about a week ago. They ran three miles..

sad to say by the first mile, i couldn't go any longer and my recruiter understood that this was my first time training with them and that the poolees have been doing this for months so he cut me some slack. So next time, I want to go all the way through with them and I don't want to fail.

itzs4m
11-01-10, 02:32 PM
remember when you PT to drink water the night before! Hydrating is essential in the Marine Corps. Keep you head up, keep working hard! It's all about how bad you want it, the same mind concept goes towards boot camp too!

tdrt
11-01-10, 02:55 PM
A couple of thoughts...

First, I applaude your for being willing to do the work to get where you need to be.

- Keep your PT progressive - vary your routine - but do cardio (run, bike, swim) and pull ups every day.
- Keep a written log of your PT - what you plan to do and what you accomplish. Review it daily (it's much harder to skip a day or two if you have a written plan showing that you planned to run 2 miles today but didn't).
- Get a workout buddy. It's much easier if you have someone to push you - and it's harder to skip a day when you just don't feel like doing it if you have someone waiting to sweat with you.
- TDRT has a good point above, but I'd be willing to let you slack down to PTing only six days a week. Your body needs a day to heal and recover (but not two - keep your goal in focus).
- Once you get your routine going, change it. Cross training is good. Mix it up.
- Weights are a good start, but the only way to get better at doing pull-ups is to do pull-ups. At a minimum, six days a week.

Good Luck!

You're right. I wasn't detailed/specific enough. However, I do something every day. For instance:

Day 1: Light cardio/light weights/yoga
Day 2: Lung-exploding cardio
Day 3: Light cardio/small weights/yoga
Day 4: Light cardio/try to lift a cow
Day 5: Light cardio only/yoga
Day 6: Lung-exploding cardio
Day 7: Whatever trips my trigger

And no matter what, every day, I always do 200 crunches at a minimum on a stability ball, 30 push-ups (the girl kind cuz I'm a girl), and I try to do something for my butt/thighs.

NsueroJr
11-01-10, 04:26 PM
thanks everyone..

tomorrow I start my first step towards my dream!

NsueroJr
11-02-10, 05:56 PM
Had a great workout today!

I got up at the crack of dawn..walked for 15 min and ran for 15 min..I'm going to start out easy and progress over time. Then I did the same thing at about 5pm. feels great!

I am looking to get better and better every week and lose weight at the same time. I also cut down all the fat, sweets, and unhealthy foods from my diet.

NsueroJr
11-03-10, 12:09 AM
very motivated! thanks alot and I will update everyone on my journey!

brian0351
11-03-10, 01:26 AM
Remember, one of the keys to weight loss is EATING!

Many people believe that starvation helps them lose weight when it does the opposite. You should be eating 200-300 calories every 2-3 hours. It maintains your energy levels and your body will constantly be burning what you eat instead of storing it.

Prime example of what not to do is how Sumo Wrestlers gain weight. They skip breakfast, eat a huge lunch and a small dinner. Their bodies have no choice but to store the lunch in order to fuel the body through periods of starvation. (Mornings and nights.)