PDA

View Full Version : ChampVA fell through

blkhrt
10-31-10, 05:33 PM
I just got word that I am unable to get ChampVA benefits. I am 100% disabled with Individual unemployability. I am 80% but 100% with IU, is there any way to fight this and get another insurance? I just dont see how the government makes me not work, but wont give me insurance for me and my family.

oldtop
11-01-10, 09:54 AM
CHAMPVA is for your family, not you...it will be granted when ypout IU becomes "permanent and total". You can tell if you are "P&T" by the grant of dependents educational benefits in your award letter. If dependents educational benefits have not been granted, you are not yet "P&T" and not elligable for CHAMPVA

blkhrt
11-01-10, 11:20 AM
But now I am unemployable so how do I get my family benefits? I guess I am not understanding what I am suppose to do, it took 5 years to get where I am now and dont want it to take another just to get permanent and total. Then a second question would be, once I am permanent and total can I work again ever?

sgt tony
11-01-10, 01:26 PM
Get with a veterans service officer (DAV/VFW/AL) take you award letter with you. They should be able to find out for you.
I have seen the VA send you a separate letter for Camp VA, military ID card and other benefit's.
You have to be permanent and total to get them benefits.
No as long as you draw UI you can not work per say.

blkhrt
11-02-10, 09:15 AM
My big thing is, now that I "can't work" how do I support my family with health benefits? Now that I can not get champva where do I turn to?