PDA

View Full Version : "The Pacific" at Best Buy

USNAviator
10-31-10, 02:19 PM
Read in the paper this morning the HBO Series "The Pacific" is on sale at Best Buy this week. I believe the Blue Ray version is going for around $55 while the regular DVD is going for about $43. I'm sure other outlets have it as well.

Did not get a chance to see it so I'll be picking up a copy

thediesel713
10-31-10, 04:20 PM
I really enjoyed the series. Def worth the $$$

sscjoe
10-31-10, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the info, Dan. Sounds like a good x-mas gift for the old man.

USNAviator
10-31-10, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the info, Dan. Sounds like a good x-mas gift for the old man.

Absolutely Joe... hope the two of you have many hours together to watch it....:thumbup:

Sgt Leprechaun
11-01-10, 12:39 AM
Honestly folks.....if you HAVEN'T seen it.....Netflix it or wait for the price to come down.

IMO...it ain't all that.

I will NOT be buying it.

devilbones
11-01-10, 08:56 PM
I didnt care for it too much either. I watched the first 3 episodes when they aired, however DVRd the rest and didnt even finish it.

Das Pferd
11-02-10, 01:59 PM
Was this series any good? Better than Band of Brothers?

Sgt Leprechaun
11-03-10, 06:52 PM
No. Comparing it to BoB you will be VERY disappointed, in my opinion. The storyline sucks, little to no character development, you don't get a chance to know any of the Marines or even see what makes them 'tick' for the most part, before they go into combat. There is too much 'hollywood'.

Save your money. Seriously.

Point of note, though...the combat scenes, many of them, are very well done. Intense. If that is all you want to see, then you have a winner.

polizei
11-03-10, 08:03 PM
I thought it was great...though I downloaded the episodes, and wouldn't pay that much for the dvd. That's just nuts!

leprechaun9544
11-03-10, 08:43 PM
Was considering going over to Oceanside, CA and while there thought it would be interesting to go over and drive through Camp Pendleton for old times sake.
Does anyone know what restrictions (if any) there for going on the base ? Will they allow you on base if you have proper ID (i.e., drivers license, or maybe DD-214) ?
Would appreciate any input.........Thanks :marine:

Sgt Leprechaun
11-03-10, 08:48 PM
Doubt they will I'm afraid. Worth a try if you are in the area, sure, but don't think they'll allow it.

leprechaun9544
11-03-10, 08:53 PM
Doubt they will I'm afraid. Worth a try if you are in the area, sure, but don't think they'll allow it.

Thanks to my fellow Irishman, Sgt Leprechaun. Have a hunch you are correct, but thought I would ask.

USNAviator
11-03-10, 09:08 PM
Jason

Took a look at the first few episodes. I would have to agree, character development is sadly lacking. I've read many of Leckie's books including the on "Helmet for My Pillow" which was one of the cornerstones of "Pacific". He developed such deep characters but where were they in "Pacific"?

Yes the the combat scenes are incredible but I care more for who the men were than how they fought and died. Going to have to pass on buying this but Netflixs is a good option. And for those of you who think the "Pacific"is expensive, I remember buying BoB at $99 and thinking I got a deal. Now it's down to $39. Buy it at that price, it's come out to less less than $4.00 per episode

Sgt Leprechaun
11-03-10, 09:26 PM
Sorry had to be right on this Dan....

Remember, the Leckie/Sledge stories were first 'adapted' by Ambrose, then re-'adapted' by his son, then 'adapted' yet again by scriptwriters.......

And you get the final 'adaptation' which is what we 'got'.

USNAviator
11-03-10, 09:35 PM
Sorry had to be right on this Dan....

Remember, the Leckie/Sledge stories were first 'adapted' by Ambrose, then re-'adapted' by his son, then 'adapted' yet again by scriptwriters.......

And you get the final 'adaptation' which is what we 'got'.

Jason

Sadly lost a lot or respect for Ambrose (senior) over his fantasy interviews with Ike. I believe he also ran into problems with another book re. the Air Force (Skyboys?) Band of Brothers was the best, IMO,it will take something extraordinary to top it and "Pacific" isn't it

Sgt Leprechaun
11-03-10, 09:45 PM
Yeah...sad but true.

wildwoman73
11-03-10, 09:59 PM
Thanks to my fellow Irishman, Sgt Leprechaun. Have a hunch you are correct, but thought I would ask.

No, they won't. I understand why to a point, but come on. I don't have so much as a traffic ticket on my record much less a criminal history.

Sgt Leprechaun
11-03-10, 10:09 PM
I know. Yet another thing you can thank the Islamofascist terrorists for.