PDA

View Full Version : Going to MEPS Soon, have some questions

Tj3119
10-31-10, 12:58 PM
Im going to MEPS this wednesday November 3rd and my recruiter told me that I wont be able to enlist or sign my contract till December 1st because they only enlist people on the first of every month.
My question is that since I will have to wait about a month to enlist and sign my contract what can i do to ensure my MOS? I guessing you have had to be in a situation like this to answer it I guess. I don't want to go to MEPS this wednesday and have them tell me that the MOS i want is open and have a slot available, but then go back a month later when i go to sign my contact and tell me that the MOS that was available a month ago is now gone.

Thanks in advance.

michagnu
10-31-10, 04:32 PM
It's been a good many years but I went to MEPS on Oct 12th (Delayed entry) and August 21st. Unless something has changed you should be able to enlist on anyday of the month. I'd check.

Tj3119
10-31-10, 05:42 PM
My recruiter was telling me because so many kids are enlisting that it is easier on them and the people at MEPS to just enlist all the people on one day

Another question is can you enlist in the Marines without picking an mos? Im not taking about going open, im talking about if an infantry slot was not available could i sign a contract and enlist and just wait for slot to open and then base my ship date off that?

michagnu
10-31-10, 11:43 PM
Like I said I can't be sure that your recruiter is not right BUT I'd check with other recruiters or call MEPS and heres my thinking. New platoons form every week or at least they did when I was there. If you were to fail rifle qualification for instance you would drop back and be picked up by a new platoon the next week. If they are only taking people on the first then you'd have to wait a month to be picked up which would be a waste of your time and thiers. I guess that its possible that with so many deployed that they just don't have the man power to spend on training and processing but that seems unlikely.
If you want a particular MOS you need to get it in the contract when you enlist period. You can have a ship date that is later (delayed entry) but you won't likely be able to change your MOS after you sign the contract. Keep in mind as well that while the Corps may try to avoid using it there is a clasue in the contract that says the needs of the service may force them to place you in an MOS other than the one you contracted for. If for instance God forbid there were massive casualties to an artillary unit and they really needed people to fill those slots (and you were qualified) you might be pulled to that MOS. I never saw such a case but there were cases of being stuck in an MOS when reenlistment came up because the field was short.
You mentioned infantry and if thats the field you want I doubt you'll have to worry about not enough slots being open.