PDA

View Full Version : My father

jwalker
10-31-10, 11:37 AM
I am not sure this is the correct forum but my father passed 30 years ago without giving us much information about his military career in the Pacific. I do know this --- he participated in the Battle of Peleliu as the executive officer for the 7th Ammo Division(?) throughout the battle. My first question if this is the right forum is what were the exact responsibilities of the ammo division during the war, aside from the obvious.

My goal is to write a short story about how my father (Marines) met my mother (Army nurse in Saipan) in 1945.

Thanks for your help. If I am in the wrong forum, please redirect.

Jim Walker

michagnu
11-01-10, 09:53 AM
I am way too young to have been there and I expect finding any living Marines who were will be difficult at this point, but I expect your looking for the 7th Ammunition Company which was responsible for transporting ammunition from ship to shore (off loading the ammo from the ship in to amphibious transports on one end and off loading the traks and staging /delivering the ammunition to individual units on the other) in support of the 1st Marine Divisions invasion. Just poking around on the internet it looked like a few of them may have actually been pulled as replacement riflemen for infantry units which were taking higher than expected casualties. The Marines had combat replacemnets on hand but they were far too few in retrospect. I found most of the mentions in the bios of "Montford Point" Marines who were the first African American Marines.
Peleliu itself is a much understudied Marine engagement. It was absolutely brutal and anyone who was there is to be held in the highest regard.
You may be able to find more information if you check the national archives online. Good luck with your search.