PDA

View Full Version : Soldier must pay for trip home.

firstsgtmike
10-01-03, 02:39 AM
Soldier must pay for his trip home

We are usually quiet individuals, expressing little about world events and politics, etc. However, we have to stand up and say something now.

Our son-in-law is in the Army, serving our country for several months in Iraq. He was recently authorized to return home for two weeks. We are all grateful for this news! However, there is one catch _ he has to pay for the journey!

How can the government expect him to pay his own airfare? It seems unfair the government won't foot the bill to send troops home, after they risk their lives for our country. They have had to leave their families struggling emotionally and some financially. Then when they do have the opportunity to come home briefly, they are expected to pay their own way.

This is an atrocity! And, too often, there is no way some of these families can afford the airfare.

Our country is spending a fortune on behalf of another country. But, our fighting forces should be the main priority, including traveling home for a reprieve. We truly believe our armed forces should be rewarded with a paid visit to their loved ones. Don't you?

Randy and Pam Forcier
Spokane
Spokane, WA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barrio_rat
10-01-03, 03:21 AM
My question is, is the military requiring the soldier to pay his way from Iraq (or where ever he's stationed) home or from his point of arrival in CONUS?

I know the military will not pay your way home from any base in CONUS but will, if over seas, pay for the flight to CONUS.

It would be one hell of a jesture on the part of the military to pay a service persons way home but I doubt if they are required to pay any more than bringing the service member to CONUS - it would also put a strain on the military budget.

Apache
10-01-03, 06:25 PM
What about all the military flights coming and going?What would it harm for a space available flight anywhere?I thought this was standard practice???Am I showing my age?
Used to always be flights going world wide!

gwladgarwr
10-01-03, 07:50 PM
Are they taking donations? I'm in.

firstsgtmike
10-02-03, 06:02 PM
From the Armed FOrces News.

R&Rs Begin for Operation Iraqi Freedom

Service members and Defense Department civilians on 12-month
orders in Iraq and Jordan supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom
now have a rest and recuperation leave program that will
allow them to take up to 15 days, excluding travel time,
to visit family or friends in the United States or Europe.
David S.C. Chu, undersecretary of defense for personnel
and readiness, approved a U.S. Central Command request for
the program Sept. 23. Participants may fly free from Iraq
to airports in Atlanta, Baltimore, Dallas, Los Angeles or
Frankfurt, Germany, and return, according to Chu's memo.
Travel beyond those points would be at the members'
expense. CENTCOM officials said a trial period now under
way will accommodate up to 270 passengers a day, with
hopes of expanding that number to as many as 800 per day.

thedrifter
10-02-03, 06:06 PM
Already posted.....

More info to this link.......

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9903

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: