PDA

View Full Version : Toy's for Tots

NeverQuit
10-28-10, 02:01 PM
Well it's about that time of year again, i have decided to volunteer with the toy's for tot's program in my area this year. Does anyone else have any experience with volunteering with this awesome...

Skosh59
10-28-10, 07:09 PM
Its a lot of work but well worth it.

Too much to try & explain but this site may help.

http://www.toysfortots.org/default.asp

Lisa 23
10-28-10, 07:20 PM
I agree with Skosh59, it's lot of work, but well worth it.
Our local Reserve Center is having their Toys for Tots Kick-Off the first weekend of November, and our MCL Detachment is helping out. We help out with the collecting of toys from the various drop off locations, and when it comes to giving out the toys to the families....it's very "rewarding". :thumbup:

NeverQuit
10-28-10, 07:46 PM
I definitely look forward to doing it, and the coordinator is very thankful that i want to since she is so pressed for volunteers. I'm just glad i can help.

Old Marine
10-28-10, 07:57 PM
When I was on I&I Duty in 1956 we did the Toys for Tots drive every year. Back then it was a chance for people to clean out their garage's. We collected used toys and new toys along with money & canned goods. We went to school classrooms and told the kids about the Toys For Tots Program. I went to one grammer school and gave my speech and this little girl in the back row gets on her feet and grabs her crutches and proceeds to the front of the class with a little doll. She gives me this doll and I immediately had to get out of there and I guess some onion got in my eyes as they were rally watering.
Toys for Tots is a great program.

sparkie
10-28-10, 08:03 PM
For all these years,,, I just throw toys in the bucket.

Lisa,,, you changed.

Marine84
10-28-10, 08:05 PM
For the last couple of years, I've had a big box (I got a 2 drawer file cabinet in it), wrapped with Christmas paper with a sign I did up with Toys For Tots on it. I put it out in the lobby with me and we get it filled up. Then one of the guys will take it to a Publix and drop them off for me.

Old Marine
10-28-10, 09:10 PM
What is a Publix? Does it have anything to do with Pubic?

DocGreek
10-28-10, 10:36 PM
:D.......Toy's for Tot's??......8913.....HOW'S THIS.......EH??......:D

Gunner 0313
10-28-10, 10:58 PM
:D.......Toy's for Tot's??......8913.....HOW'S THIS.......EH??......:D

:flag:Doc we want to encourage people to give, not scare them away.

sparkie
10-29-10, 09:03 AM
Boy,,,that Santa will make your candy cane fall off the tree.

Marine84
10-30-10, 03:30 PM
What is a Publix? Does it have anything to do with Pubic?

LOL! It's grocery store.

Old Marine
10-30-10, 06:15 PM
Thanks Marine84. I would have never guessed that it was a grocery store. You are never too old to learn new things. I was born and raised in California and the farthest East I have been is Cherry Point. On that trip we flew on a Marine R4Q.