PDA

View Full Version : new member with an ompf question

mav169v
10-28-10, 01:28 AM
first off gents hello, ive been creeping your sight for answers to questions and what not for a while, figured i may as well join. so to start off in typical fashion i need something. lol. i have a...

MGySgtSki
10-28-10, 01:30 AM
Did you get an adverse FitRep because of it?

mav169v
10-28-10, 01:34 AM
no i didnt. my fitrep doesnt even mention it and it happens to be the period of my highest reported fitrep to date.

MGySgtSki
10-28-10, 03:16 AM
I wouldn't be too concerned with it. I was just looking at my OMPF earlier today, as a matter of fact, and couldn't find any of my Pg.11s in there either. The deal is that a 6105 (Pg.11) is a counseling tool and not a punishment tool. It's the highest degree of formal counseling, but that's all it is. NJP is punishment. You're not going to get passed over for a formal counseling, but you certainly could for a punishment.

S/F and good luck on the board.

Supersquishy
10-28-10, 07:05 AM
Check page 12. LOL

03Mike
10-28-10, 01:43 PM
You should be good to go Devildog - don't sweat it (too much)

mav169v
10-28-10, 09:14 PM
thanks gents i appreciate it.

Sgt Leprechaun
10-31-10, 02:53 AM
I've got a copy of the most recent SSgt board 'questions and answers' direct from the board. No mention of that. Biggest things were as follows:

Current picture, in correct uniform, not looking like a disgusting fatbody. All ribbons correctly placed.

MOS credibility.

Ranking in the 'pyramid'. If you aren't in the top 3 in your section/shop/platoon, you won't be competitive.

PFT scores. Better be a first class. If you are a grunt, you better have the highest class of 'belt' you can get.

elliscraig12
10-31-10, 12:44 PM
O.K. I have to ask. What's an OMPF?

mav169v
10-31-10, 04:41 PM
O.K. I have to ask. What's an OMPF?
are you a sergeant?

Sgt Leprechaun
10-31-10, 05:47 PM
"Official Military Personnel File".

MGySgtSki
10-31-10, 05:48 PM
are you a sergeant?

He was. Might help to check out someone's profile before you rag on them. He got out in '93.

mav169v
10-31-10, 05:51 PM
He was. Might help to check out someone's profile before you rag on them. He got out in '93.
i wasnt ragging on anyone. i was asking.

Sgt Leprechaun
10-31-10, 05:51 PM
If you aren't familiar with the promotions system nowadays, these terms can easily be confusing.

MGySgtSki
10-31-10, 06:43 PM
i wasnt ragging on anyone. i was asking.

Rgr, I'll take your word for it. Just seemed like a set-up me.

elliscraig12
11-01-10, 12:25 PM
are you a sergeant?

Yes I was, up until 93. Then I got out. You mean SRB right?

Sgt Leprechaun
11-01-10, 01:51 PM
Yes, sorta. The SRB, believe it or not, isn't "official". The OMPF on the other hand, is. That's what's 'briefed' when your packet goes in front of the selection board, and why its' so critical to make sure your SRB matches the OMPF. Nowadays since everything is on computer, it's allegedly not as difficult. "Allegedly". The OMPF also contains all the copies of your fitreps

DrZ
11-01-10, 02:29 PM
Hell, I was going to ask what the OMPF was as well. I am glad someone asked prior...and yes... I am/was a SNCO but I got out in the 70s. So while the terminology has changed.... it is still my Marine Corps.

03Mike
11-01-10, 04:30 PM
OMPF = Official Military Personnel File

As mentioned, it's more than just the SRB / OQR as it includes FitReps, and official letters, and promotion photos.

Most Marines encounter their OMPF for the first time when they are seeking promotion to Staff Sergeant or above. Used to be we'd get copies on microfiche. Usually the biggest problem with the OMPF was missing FitReps or something that didn't match the SRB/OQR. I remember some of the biggest gigs for promotions had to do with the official promotion photo - either someone who needed a "larger" uniform or more often, someone who's ribbons or marksmanship badges didn't match what was in their SRB/OQR.

Sgt Leprechaun
11-03-10, 06:10 PM
Yup...and it's still that way from what I can see from the last SSgt board.