PDA

View Full Version : Fire Watfh

jarhead2b
09-30-03, 04:32 PM
i have heard from a friend who just got back from bootcamp 10 days ago that you'll have to pull fire watch how does this system work with getting enough rest to make it to the next day.

BGMFH
10-01-03, 08:14 AM
If missing a single hour of sleep ruins you for the next day, why are you going to join the Marines?

I work two (desk) jobs and go to the gym every night in order to prepare for recruit training. I get 4-6 hours of sleep every night, and currently, I dont think I am sleep deprived.

As for the rest, well, I am not a Marine, I cannot answer the exact question posed.

Caesar Augustus
10-01-03, 09:15 AM
I get up a 4:30 every moring and go to bed at 11 . I get up to run PFT's every day Its not that bad

jarhead2b
10-01-03, 09:27 AM
i get up and run just like everybody and go to bed just as late as caesar augustus and i not tired,but this is just in the civie world wait till you get there at P.I. or san diego i motivated to i was just asking it will be a different world ask any body who's earned the title and they will proabably tell you that they were tired and didn't want to pull fire watch cause they were tired.

Sparrowhawk
10-01-03, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by jarhead2b
i have heard from a friend who just got back from bootcamp 10 days ago that you'll have to pull fire watch how does this system work with getting enough rest to make it to the next day.

Don't woory, the D.I. allows you to sleep in late the next morning to make up for the hour sleep you lost.

Make sure to remind them, because sometimes they forget who they placed on "Fire Watch," duty.

yellowwing
10-01-03, 10:26 AM
Don't worry about fire watch. Exhaustion is freely and equally distributed. Mess duty week was a real drain. But don't worry, when the squad bay lights click on, you'll wake up!

Only once did I see someone not instantly snap awake. We were on line and had counted off twice, and still kept coming up one recruit short. Then I look across the squad bay and see Recruit Weller raise up and look around in a complete daze. You should have seen the sheer terror on his face when he realized what was happening! :)

Caesar Augustus
10-01-03, 12:02 PM
lol sparrow Just to make sure you know sparrow's pullin your leg about the extra hour:D Although I've heard that if you pull fire watch you get to go to starbucks to revitalize yourself:D

Kurt Stover
10-01-03, 01:52 PM
Actually, you are watching a fire and get marshmallows, a Hershey bar and graham crakers to make smores. Hot cocoa and a smoke just before nappy time.

Look if you are worried about little sh1t like this, don't go. There is nothing that anybody can do or say to prpare you for Marine Corps Boot Camp. He11, the Marine Corps for that matter. The best thing that you can do is run, do push ups and run again everyday before you ship.

You'll learn to react, not react, stand frozen for hours on end, have critters both large and small attack you, sweat dripping down your nose and through the crack of your a$$ into your boots. You'll be "SIR! YES SIR" ing in your sleep. You'll have fire watch and Iron 15 pairs of cami's and buff shine and then spit shine 10 pairs of boots. Youl learn how to scrub a floor with a scrub brush. You can actually sleep with wet clothes on and get dressed in about 37 seconds I sh1t you not.

It's what you make of it and what you are going to do with yourself and how you can contribute to the team. How you make decisions and how you react and mature. What bothers you and what does not. Will your skank mother take time off from her street corner to drop you a card or letter? Will your father (if he is known by you) be able to write a letter from his prison cell? If your retarded brother can spell maybe he could lick some envelopes and find a stamp (Not food stamps either) to put on an the envelope. And so forth.

See what I mean? It's what you can make of it. If you can't hack it then, adios, some will, some won't....NEXT!

thedrifter
10-01-03, 04:22 PM
If you have what it takes to become a Marine, than no matter what you have to do, you will do it. Adapt and overcome, face every situation as it comes. WE TRUE MARINES DID IT. WE ALL EARNED THE TITLE AND TO THIS DAY WEAR IT PROUDLY. I HAVE SAID IT MANY TIMES IN THESE POSTS: "IT HAS TO BE INSIDE OF YOU, YOU HAVE TO HAVE HEART AND SOUL." NOTHING IS GIVEN ON A SILVER PLATTER, YOU HAVE TO EARN IT.

The Drifter
:marine:

Lake0300
10-02-03, 07:37 AM
lol @ sparrow

jarhead2b
10-02-03, 08:40 AM
sorry sparrow hawk it was a typo i meant to put fire watch.

i know he was kidding

CAS3
10-02-03, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Sparrowhawk

Don't woory, the D.I. allows you to sleep in late the next morning to make up for the hour sleep you lost.

Make sure to remind them, because sometimes they forget who they placed on "Fire Watch," duty.

I have never laughed so hard.
We used to bribe each other to get the first or last watch. Or bribe the fire watches to press our cammies and shine our boots.

jarhead2b
10-02-03, 09:38 AM
now that i know about fire watch, what about KP duty i have heard that in bootcamp you have to pull it atleast twice. is that true

USMC-FO
10-02-03, 10:13 AM
Hey..2b......

Are you REALLY worried about these things? If you are I would suggest you re think joining our Corps. You need to move on past these silly issues. They are irrelevent. Also I don't recall ever hearing the term "KP" except in the "Army of one". Mess duty is a different issue. Bottom line is you will do what you're told for as long as the Corps wants you to do it. You will loose lots of sleep--frequently--and you will pull mess duty.

Kurt Stover
10-02-03, 10:24 AM
Also, to have your moniker as "jarhead2b" is way off. There ar only 2 things that a a sure bet. You will be taxed on something and you are going to die. using a moniker such as that is as about as bad as me stating "3.5minutemiler2b" Ain;' gonna happen unless I apply myself and stop asking useless questions like, "Is the gravel in the tar that makes up the road I run on from Michigan or Ohio?"

If you gotta ask don't do it. Plain and simple.

garryh123
10-02-03, 11:24 AM
No question is a 'silly question". Nothin wrong with asking.

USMC-FO
10-02-03, 12:15 PM
123....nice feel good fuzzey answer for the youngster, but not entirely right I believe.

If not silly how bout "dumb"?

This younster is well meaning I am sure, but he/she needs to focus on more important issues than these two questions. You and I both know they are totally irrelevent in making ANY decison as regards one trying to become a Marine. That is the point we're trying to make here I feel. Can you imagine how a SDI would respond to questions such as this?

S/F

garryh123
10-02-03, 12:17 PM
True, but still......Nothing wrong with asking. Better to ask the "silly" or "dumb" questions here than when they get to Boot Camp.
I could have sworn that's what the Poolee forum was for!?

Kurt Stover
10-02-03, 01:11 PM
But you know 123, there are some things in life that go without saying. Perhaps the mundane life I led kept me from delving into such questions. I dunno, maybe it's just me. I get guys asking me to join my unit all the time, and I got guys that have joined and I get asked a plethera of questions. In my 14 years now, I have not had one soul ask me about Fire Watch or KP. Generally if it did rub up to those conversations, it was what happend or how do I get out of it.

What end of the rifle does the round come out of? Wouldn't you sit there and wonder a little? I'd stand waaaaay clear of this person. Maybe in my advanced stage of age, I field questions like Donald Rumsfeld instead of Mr. Rodgers.

garryh123
10-02-03, 01:23 PM
I'd just be repeating myself (see my last post). And.........No Mr. Rodgers here! Better to air out dumb f**k questions here I'd say.

Kurt Stover
10-02-03, 02:20 PM
Wasn't saying you were Mr. Rodgers, but for the life of me, I don't recall asking questions like this. I was not a "Know it all" and I watched and learned. The only thing I did know how to do was march and do military precision stuff from Military school. But, it was so different, I kept my mouth shut and let the Drill Instructors do what they had to do and I did mine.

Mudwalker
10-25-03, 09:16 AM
Here's my 2 cents. There is such a thing as a stupid question. I have heard some big ones in my days. As for jarhead2b, the GuSgt is right. If you are worried about the little **** then what are you going to do about the big stuff you will run into as a Marine, like combat? Don't sweat the small stuff. Sweat learning the things that will keep you alive.

leroy8541
10-25-03, 10:15 AM
Good one SparrowHawk. If I remember correctly whilst on fire watch, you walk your post in a military manner, with nightstick in hand, duty belt on, wearing a chrome dome. Not ironing cammies,spit shining boots or anything else that would be deriliction of duty,right?