PDA

View Full Version : retread advice?

Advantage
10-27-10, 01:39 AM
I was in the Marine Corps from 2006-2010 and was an 0311...during that time I did one uneventfull tour to Iraq...

the unit I was in is now in Afghanistan and taking casualties...

I want to go...

I know that there is nothing I can do to directly make a difference during their deployment...but I can at least help in ending the cause of our enemy for the past decade...

here's the issue...my first child is about to be born and I don't want to leave her or my wife alone for the length of deployment or, as is possible, the rest of their lives...but I also don't want to KNOW that I can do something about an evil that mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, wives, etc. cry about yet are powerless against...and do nothing...

...I've talked to my wife about this and she is supportive of my decision either way...obviously I can't talk to people at work or school on this subject...and the Marines I'm still in touch with will either say "go back in" or "stay out" based on their own bias...

I just need some perspective...

tl;dr...thinking of going back in but dont know what the hell to do...

josephd
10-27-10, 02:07 AM
obviously you have the itch to get back in and get on deployment, speak with a prior service recruiter in your area, re-enlist and request to get with a deploying unit. I know for a fact there a couple big deployments coming up

HardCharger89
10-27-10, 02:19 PM
Don't mean to steal the thread, but do you happen to know what units?

sparkie
10-27-10, 02:36 PM
Think hard on it,,,,,you have a child due. Maybe it's someone elses turn. Just my opinion, Dad.

manilalaguna29
10-27-10, 03:26 PM
You did your time, let someone else carry the ball from here. You have a family to raise and you need to be at home. I was a retread and found it a very unsatisfying experience. This is mainly because the here and now didn't measure up to the memories of prior service.

sparkie
10-27-10, 07:19 PM
You did your time, let someone else carry the ball from here. You have a family to raise and you need to be at home. I was a retread and found it a very unsatisfying experience. This is mainly because the here and now didn't measure up to the memories of prior service.

Yep,,,,,,, You can't always go home. Be proud of your service,,,,,, I am. Semper Fi, Son.

USNAviator
10-27-10, 07:30 PM
Yep,,,,,,, You can't always go home. Be proud of your service,,,,,, I am. Semper Fi, Son.

Good advice Sparkie!.. Advantage. you've been in harms way, you served your country, honorably. Time to step aside young man and let those who follow take up the cause. Raise your family, be a good husband and Dad

sparkie
10-27-10, 07:36 PM
Dan,,,, my feelings exactly,,,,,,,,, I've mourned enough good men. Glad my son doesn't have to.

usmc3521
10-27-10, 08:27 PM
thats a tough one bro. Im looking at deployment possibly next year and have a wife and son at home. Very supportive either way, Im going regardless if I want to or not lol but I want the experience to be with my fellow Marines and do my part and get atleast 1 pump in before we start drawing down troops. Its so hit and miss as well as far as injuries and deaths. Ive talked to so many Marines who have done 2 or 3 tours and it seemed like one tour they never had one firefight or problem and then the next it was armageddon. You just never know. As others have said you did your tour bro, nobody can look down on that regardless of how many, if any firefights you encountered. Go reserve if you want and see if your unit is in rotation to deploy. if not then you will be back serving and not have to worry about deploying.